Tuesday, 17 April 2012
I have been offline a lot lately. My puddy cat, Ferdie passed away. He has been my companion for the last 13 years, bought for me when I moved out of home at 17 and saw me from a teen through my 20's into my 30's. He kept me company through long cold hours of uni study, was a member of our little family when I married Jase, moved to Queensland with me, reluctantly shared my side of the bed with two breastfeeding newborns and never failed to give my cuddles in the evenings with his beautiful purr. He was my beautiful velveteen rabbit, I loved patting his little velvet head. When I wrapped him up to bury him and realised that I would never get to pat that velvet patch ever again, my heart cracked a little. He died at home with me patting him and except for the last few hours of his life when he was slipping away, he never stopped purring as long as I was patting him. Oh how I miss him. I see him everywhere and my heart literally jumps with hope that he is back, then I realise it is just a shadow or a crumpled piece of clothing. The rest of my life will be that little bit lonelier for his loss.
I am definitely feeling a little less tough than usual. Struggling to embrace all the hecticness of our life. In fact I have a terrible head cold and a stomach bug and am having my first sick day in work for years. Nice to rest but I need to pull it together, I have a lot to organise in the next two days as we are heading off on a road trip and then flying to Sydney for a child free weekend for a friends engagement party.
My girls are my balm. Elka was so brave and sad in the face of the loss of the cat she has followed around for the last 3.5yrs. Bronte is a bundle of cuteness and nearly-2yr-old attitude, who can make me laugh and shake my head.
We took them up on the big Brisbane wheel the other day. These photos make me smile.
| My poor sick old boy |
I am definitely feeling a little less tough than usual. Struggling to embrace all the hecticness of our life. In fact I have a terrible head cold and a stomach bug and am having my first sick day in work for years. Nice to rest but I need to pull it together, I have a lot to organise in the next two days as we are heading off on a road trip and then flying to Sydney for a child free weekend for a friends engagement party.
My girls are my balm. Elka was so brave and sad in the face of the loss of the cat she has followed around for the last 3.5yrs. Bronte is a bundle of cuteness and nearly-2yr-old attitude, who can make me laugh and shake my head.
We took them up on the big Brisbane wheel the other day. These photos make me smile.
![]() |
| Bronte likes to wear her sunglasses upside down, never fails to make me giggle |
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-



6 comments:
Oh Amy, I'm so sorry. I remember you writing a few months ago about how she was ill. I know how much you loved your cat, and I know that the cat adored you too.
It's good you are taking some rest time, and I know soon you'll be back on top of the world.
Much Love.
I'm so sorry for you loss. Ferdie was such a beautiful and friendly little kitty.
Take care of yourself and I hope you feel a bit better soon.
Thinking of you. X
Oh Amy. I am so sorry for your loss. Your post made me cry because I also know how it feels to love a lose a beautiful grey friend. It's awful but normal to see him around your house but sometimes you'll be able to cuddle him in your dreams and that is so wonderful albeit bitter-sweet. I am so glad Ferdie passed away while safely wrapped in your arms. You were the very best type of cat mother I am sure. I hope you start feeling better soon and you keep remembering all the funny times every time your heart aches for your velvety sweetheart. I'm thinking of you xo
So sorry again Amy. He was a magical part of your life and is going to be sorely missed. You have so many good memories with him, and its amazing that both your girls got to meet and play with him - very special!
Love the photo of you and Bronte - she is such a character! Amazing little girl. xxx
I am so sorry about your loss Amy :( I am a huge animal lover and have pets of my own so I can only imagine the sadness you must be feeling.
Much love to you xxxx
Post a Comment