Thursday, 30 July 2009
I was at competing at a Dressage/Showjumping competition on the weekend. It is something I have done for years and its like second nature to prepare the horse and myself. However, it did cross my mind at how things that are just normal life to a horse owner/competitor are not quite so normal to the non-equine enthusiaist.. and I had to list some



10 Signs that you compete horses..
  1. You cant imagine not being able to braid. It is an essential skill, not only that but it must be performed whilst standing a foot in the air on a rocking milk crate desperately hanging onto the slippery forelock of a fidgety horse.
  2. You knew a thousand uses for baby wipes long before having a baby.
  3. Your saddle cost more than your first car.
  4. You were wearing knee high leather boots over pants way before it became fashionable.
  5. It's not strange that the person riding next to you spent 12 thousand dollars to buy their horse.
  6. You use horse make up, hairspray, wonder soap, Mr Sheen etc on your horse and don't understand why non- horseriders think that is funny.
  7. Your horse sees a variety of medical specialists monthly but you won't go to the doctor unless its possibly terminal.
  8. You spend hours clearing the paddocks of manure and you think your visitors will notice.
  9. You never have to worry about tuckshop arms; trying to control half a tonne of horse that thinks its still a racehorse, move hay bales and carry water and food buckets is better than any gym.
  10. You have broken at least two fingers and three toes and you know two or more people that are missing a finger to the first knuckle.

2 comments:

Alison Clayshulte said...

HAHA! I love this. I used to ride and compete and your top 10 list brought back all kinds of memories. Makes me realize how much I miss it...thanks for the memories.

Amy said...

Glad you could relate Alison! xo

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I