Thursday, 29 April 2010
Am due to post a 22 month update on Elka but I just couldn't back away from the irony of sharing this blog first. This blog pokes fun at those people we all know, the ones who when they have a baby also have a lobotomy and can no longer speak/think/breath anything but their children. To the point where their facebook updates etc is entirely about their children, often the childs pooing, sleeping and eating habits, thrilling stuff.

I have had a secret pet hate about losing friends to this behaviour for awhile now. Sure babies are gorgeous and can be almost all consuming and we are all guilty of being obsessed (didnt I just say I was about to blog about Elka hehe and hell more than one of my facebook status updates has mentioned parental woes/joys) but at least the majority of us can still chat about other things in our lives. And if I have one more mum say to me proudly "I have never left my child for a night/day/hour/minute/second" I think I might be in danger of saying my honest thoughts back. So the facebook status updates and commentary on this blog gave me a good giggle I must confess!

9 comments:

April @ Composed by April said...

Oh Amy, that is too funny!

I must admit, I know more than a few people who can only post status updates about what their child did/ate/shit/said, and all I can say is thank god for the 'show less of' button on facebook! I only wish there was such a feature on twitter!!!

The occassional status update is fine, but really, some things do not need to be shared...unlike that blog!

melissa said...

That blog is so funny! Thanks for sharing Amy. :)

Amy said...

Oh yes! It only serves to make me feel guilty about the fact that I enjoy listening to my son playing (alone) in the other room while I update my blog :P

Mel said...

What a crack up! Thanks for sharing Amy - that was a good laugh.

CAM said...

I haven't read the blog yet but just wanted to say that I completely agree with you on the 'never leaving baby' front. Lordy, if I didn't have my little breaks from my darling, I would go insane!!! Although my fb status updates often comment on her...maybe I am worse than i thought?!

Teneal said...

LOVE this. Oh, the brilliance.

I totally agree. I don't have kids yet, and have a few people (Hi April!) who have assured me they will tell me if it's too much if I do end up having a lobotomy.

It actually makes me really resentful sometimes - I didn't add your child as a facebook friend, I added you! I like hearing about friends kids'. Just not all the time.

And Amy, I love your posts about Elka :)

Amy said...

Glad you guys understand and can see the funny side too!

Porthos - no hun your status updates are definitely not over the top with kiddie updates! And yes - I think breaks from your little one is good for you and for them ;)

xoxo

Sars said...

Finally i'm able to log in and post a comment (well i think so doing a test comment hehe), off to check out that blog, miss you guys!

britt@absolutealaia said...

HAHAHAHA that Blog is gold! And yes, I agree with you but I know I will be guilty of it when my time comes :-P

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I