Thursday, 7 January 2010
So my Thursdays are funny things - I have come from three full days of work; not only is there the hecticness of my job but Elka and I leave the house at 7am and don't get home again until 5.30pm, then there are animals to be feed, dinner to cooked and daycare food to be packed for the next day. So needless to say I have very little time to do anything.
So then on Thursdays I am still on a bit of an adrenalin high but then I get up and realise that I don;t have to rush Elka through breakfast. Although I normally have a horse appointment or something booked in for the early morning, so no sleep in for me! But generally I can slow down and focus on being a mummy rather than a busy scientist. It takes me a few hours, so I fill the morning with my busy things and then unwind as I go...
We do the groceries (chaos now that Elka insists that she gets to walk and help push the trolley), run errands to the post office etc and finish with a fun shop in our green grocer where Elka delights the shop ladies and has a great time collecting all the fresh fruit and veg in her mini-trolley. We unpack and sort everything out, much to the delight of our magpies and chickens as they get all the old stuff out of the fridge (I often have two keen horses hanging over the back fence too hoping to score old bread etc). And I start the endless loads of clothes washing..
I make phone calls etc that need to be done. Then when Elka has her midday sleep, I run around like a mad woman straightening the house from 3 days of neglect, hang out loads of washing, I set up some tv shows on my laptop and chip away at the overflowing ironing basket and invariably spend too long working and miss my chance to have a peaceful lunch whilst Elka is still asleep!
Then the pace slows, Elka and I play, do some art and play dough and we generally cook something for her to munch on over the weekend. She loves to cook with me, she calls it "mummy cook-cook" and she will drag one of our foot stools into the kitchen so she can stand next to me at the bench. Its a lovely part of the day and it helps me catch my breath and start to relax into my non-career days (I won't call them non-work days, every mum knows having little ones at home deserves the title of work!).
Today we cooked Rock Cakes. Simple and fun and quite healthy, so little butter in them, Elka loves sultanas and I use raw sugar as I like the less-refined nature of the sugar for toddlers.

And this is Elka enjoying the end product... well you can only see what didnt make it into my little monsters mouth!

So then on Thursdays I am still on a bit of an adrenalin high but then I get up and realise that I don;t have to rush Elka through breakfast. Although I normally have a horse appointment or something booked in for the early morning, so no sleep in for me! But generally I can slow down and focus on being a mummy rather than a busy scientist. It takes me a few hours, so I fill the morning with my busy things and then unwind as I go...
We do the groceries (chaos now that Elka insists that she gets to walk and help push the trolley), run errands to the post office etc and finish with a fun shop in our green grocer where Elka delights the shop ladies and has a great time collecting all the fresh fruit and veg in her mini-trolley. We unpack and sort everything out, much to the delight of our magpies and chickens as they get all the old stuff out of the fridge (I often have two keen horses hanging over the back fence too hoping to score old bread etc). And I start the endless loads of clothes washing..
I make phone calls etc that need to be done. Then when Elka has her midday sleep, I run around like a mad woman straightening the house from 3 days of neglect, hang out loads of washing, I set up some tv shows on my laptop and chip away at the overflowing ironing basket and invariably spend too long working and miss my chance to have a peaceful lunch whilst Elka is still asleep!
Then the pace slows, Elka and I play, do some art and play dough and we generally cook something for her to munch on over the weekend. She loves to cook with me, she calls it "mummy cook-cook" and she will drag one of our foot stools into the kitchen so she can stand next to me at the bench. Its a lovely part of the day and it helps me catch my breath and start to relax into my non-career days (I won't call them non-work days, every mum knows having little ones at home deserves the title of work!).
Today we cooked Rock Cakes. Simple and fun and quite healthy, so little butter in them, Elka loves sultanas and I use raw sugar as I like the less-refined nature of the sugar for toddlers.
Here is Elka mixing up the dough.
And this is Elka enjoying the end product... well you can only see what didnt make it into my little monsters mouth!
Rock Cakes
1 Tbsp Margarine
2 cups SR Flour
1/2 cup Raw Sugar
1/2 cup Sultanas
1 Egg
3 Tbsp Milk
Ginger and All Spice powder to taste (I like lots)
1 Tbsp Margarine
2 cups SR Flour
1/2 cup Raw Sugar
1/2 cup Sultanas
1 Egg
3 Tbsp Milk
Ginger and All Spice powder to taste (I like lots)
Rub margarine into flour, ginger and all spice. Add sugar and sultanas. Add beaten egg and milk. Mix to make a dough (I sometimes add a little extra milk at this stage). Roll balls to suited size and place on greased oven tray.
Bake at 200 degrees for 10-15 mins or until starting to brown.
Bake at 200 degrees for 10-15 mins or until starting to brown.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
Housekeeping!1 week ago
-
-
The blog is closing6 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra8 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming11 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland12 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!12 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks13 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening14 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....14 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6 comments:
Thanks for the recipe. I love to bake, these look great and oh so easy!
What a fabulous glimpse of your life, I love hearing the little details of other people's days!
Hi! I'm new here, just discovered your blog and I love it.
Elka is so gorgeous, looks like she did enjoy the rock cakes!
Thanks guys xoxo
Sounds great Amy! Will have to try the recipe for Liam too - he's a huge fan of sultanas and biscuits. Love that you use raw sugar too - its the only sugar that exists in our house. :)
How cute does Elka look. I haven't dared let Jem help me bake yet. Would be a disaster!
Post a Comment