Thursday, 18 March 2010
Flickr - harryleemartin

I am a good scientist. But I am a terrible housewife.. which is absolutely fine by me. As many wonderful outspoken women have pointed out before me, I did not marry a house anyway. In fact pre-kids, I was so adament that we shared duties that my husband washed his own clothes and I washed mine. Jase ironed his own workshirts, was the main cook and we cleaned the house and did the groceries together on a Saturday morning.

So swap to me being on maternity leave - suddenly I had nothing to do work-wise so I took on the house as my "work" as I go crazy unless I am busy. I cooked, I cleaned all surfaces inside and out, I shopped with a newborn in tow, I washed everyones clothes and I even tried to iron.

However, cleaning is not a skill of mine. Jase would quietly reiron his workshirt in the morning before dressing for work. My cooking often fails more than it shines. I don't change the bed sheets often enough or wash the towels properly so they are light and fluffy. I have set fire to a number of tea towels, dropped bleach on the bathroom rugs and often get distracted by jobs for the horses and outside in preference to inside. I will quite happily hang the clothes out on the line and proceed to let them be rained on for four or so days... And I still to this day have no idea where my husbands clothes and underwear go in the cupboards - I still draw the line at folding and putting away his clothes.

Now I am part time at work and I guess part time at looking after the house. Its a strange balance as I wear blinkers on my work days and think as long as the kitchen looks sort of clean ie no unwashed dishes then its perfectly respectable. But come my first day at home, Thursdays and my "house" eyes open and I freak at how nasty and messy the house truly is - a toddler and two indoor cats tend to do that. So for a couple of hours on Thursday, I will straighten, grocery shop and wipe etc and even iron (in front of my selected internet tv show to watch of course - currently Project Runway). Its not pretty - today included peeling stained cat food sodden newspaper from off the floor, picking dried custard off my lovely dining chairs and discovering a huge sticky bright pink spill of "something" all over a white cupboard that had inticed but then trapped a huge amount of ants...

I honestly thought that being a "mum" made you good at this sort of stuff but I am still waiting for my domestic goddess side to kick in. I also thought I would maybe like being a stay at home mum but I HATED it. Honestly even two days a week is a little tedious and I go out of my way to fill it with activities and chores to run.

But I am proud to say that my horses and other animal are well cared for and loved. Oh and the toddler too ;)

5 comments:

melissa said...

Oh, I think I like you even more now!

Thank goodness for people honest enough to write what I feel.

I suck at housework. Seriously, I wouldn't hire me to do it.

I could enjoy being a fulltime, permanent SAHM if the finances somehow stretched to someone to clean up after me. I think I'd need a maid, not just a fortnightly housecleaner.

Lydia said...

I am really bad at housework. Terrible. When I didn't have a job for a few months last year, I hated it. I spent the whole day feeling guilty at the state of the house, yet I couldn't bring myself to actually do something about it. Also, I never iron - I just hang everything up straight out of the dryer.

CAM said...

You sound like my hubby ;) He often gets distracted by the outside stuff, has no idea where the clothes go and when he cleans, bleach gets on everything. BUT he is the most amazing cook - I'm more like you! Sounds like it all works out in the end...which is what happenes here...it's just not as 'perfect' as it used to be pre bubby!!

Spilt Milk said...

I'm actually not *bad* at housework. I just hate it so much that I barely ever do any! It is such thankless work, and once you've done it you know you'll have to do it all again (with a toddler in the house, in a matter of minutes!)
Sometimes I think the only reason I ever do anything around here is shame when people come to visit.

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

I hear you and feel your pain. I loathe cleaning, but working from home means that the damned stuff stares at me every time I leave the study. But so long as things that are meant to be kept alive and happy remain so, that's the main thing isn't it?

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I