Thursday, 13 October 2011
So I am over half way through my single-parenting-whilst-other-parent-is-on-the-other-side-of-the-world gig and the metal game is most of the battle. I have had this discussion with a friend whose husband spends a lot of time overseas and also doesn't have any family living close by for help and she feels the same. Your fuse with the kids is that much shorter and your nerves so much more raw, because deep down you know there is no rescue, no one to sweep in and say "you have been trying to get get the toddler to bed for 1 hour, sit down while I take over", no extra hands to pick up, wipe or tidy the messes. And that little bit of knowledge is always in the back of your mind and it makes you tired, so tired just one hour into the day. And trust me you won't understand fully, even if you think you do, if you have family living in the same town. Knowing help if just a phone call away can make all the difference.

So, I have been caring for my new horse, squeezing my job into the shortest hours possible, spending the nights preparing for assessing a students PhD project, working out how to get to a 7am work function with two kids in tow, worrying over a sick chicken, dealing with an emotional little girl missing her dad and pushing the boundaries, balancing a sick one year old, running the house and farm and minding all the small but essential things like broken hearing aids and yearly hay orders. Doing this all on about 5 hours sleep and I can't remember the last time I sat on our lounge. Tired.

And Jase is staying in a $1000 night Parisian hotel, being wined and dined after his Business class flights. Not to mention that I am getting formal style emails from him such as "we will  find a mutually convenient time to phone" - seems I am just another email being squeezed into his work emailing time slots and he is forgetting to drop the professional persona. Way to make a girl feel special. Oh and then in another email, he told me that he was too busy to be missing me and the girls! Hmmm the city of love clearly isn't working on my husband...

But he is a romantic deep down - he jogged through the the the cold evening light to revisit our hotel and little restaurants we ate in, when we stayed in Paris and sent me a picture.And he told me one day, he wanted us to be staying at the Ritz, with me alighting from a black town car laden down with shopping bags. Yeah that won him a few brownie points!

Though for now the only shopping I have planned, is Kmart for some new shoes for the girls!

I hate wishing my life away but I am definitely counting down until  Jase is back - though he has numerous other work trips lined up for the next few weeks, they are much less intense when he is only 1000kms away.

3 comments:

Mel said...

My goodness Amy! I'm sitting here shaking my head at what you're dealing with right now - how on earth do you do it?!

And you're right - when you have family around you don't realise how isolating not having your other half can be. When we lived with my parents, we didn't really know anyone else, and they went away for 7wks and that was it - just us. Damo would go off to work during the day and I was battling PND at the time and it was not fun. Living near my sisters and having them available to pop in at a moments notice (or thereabouts) is sooooo different and so refreshing.

I hope the girls are good for you for the rest of the time - we have 2 toddlers pushing boundaries and thats with both of us home. Hope Jase has some great pressies for you and treats you to a night out (or weekend away?) when he gets back.

Hope all goes well with your new horse and the hay order - what a mess!

Dana said...

OMG everything you said is sooo true. Facing pete away for a week in November and for 4 nights (2 separate trips next week). The first time he was away he cam back and then during a *discussion* he says - well you make it sound like it was horrible looking after him. Grrr (this was after he decided to offer me a 'break' to do the grocery shopping on my own). Thanksfully he is a bit better now. But he has no idea that it is hard and busy and lonley having no one (adult) to talk to at the end of an exhausting day.

At least Jase will bring back some super pressies. 'mutually convenient' punches ;)

Amy said...

You are incredible. When I think my life is busy, I just have to look at yours and suddenly I feel like I'm on holiday.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I