Monday, 18 June 2012
I read an article title like that recently and inwardly groaned but I was glad I read further. Because this statement was said by Helen Fraser, the chief executive of the UK's Girls' Day School Trust at a conference and it really made me think.

She was arguing that career women need to beat the "nappy wall" these days rather than the "glass ceiling" and that in order to do this they need the right support from their partner. Helen was inspired by Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg who said, "The most important career choice you'll make is who you marry." (or not get to marry if you happen to be a women who likes other women but that is another whole post hey!).

You can check out an article about it here.

As a career women, a wife and a mother of little ones, I feel somewhat qualified to comment. And you know what, as much as I like to be independent and think I can do everything alone, I agree wholeheartedly that a supportive husband who respects and values my career has been essential to my success so far. A husband that does not let me indulge in that stupid label of "Mother Guilt"

And I want my girls to grow up to understand that they should also be ambitious in their requirements of a life partner. I want them to be able to have whatever career they choose, kids if they want and the love and cuddles at the beginning and end of their day from their loved one - and NO-ONE making them feel bad about trying to have their "all". They will get that lesson from me every day and more importantly their standards will be raised by seeing their father do exactly that.

May there be no nappy wall in their futures.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Totally agree! I know that choosing a reasonably 'family friendly' career of teaching helps with the balancing act but my husband is fantastic at pulling his own weight. I currently do all the drop offs and pick ups and lots of the chores but that's because my hours are shorter and I have a day off per week. We both contribute equally to the household, finances and childrearing. When we need to tag team we do and this is really so different to many mothers I know who are hard pressed to get some 'babysitting' time on weekends.

I've always been very very happy that we were on the same page about this.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I