Saturday, 9 June 2012
My training has been AMAZING - more amazing than travelling in the US on someone else's money, more amazing than beautiful historic buildings and great food and company. Although getting to meet like minded scientists from American states scattered from Alaska to Florida and getting to work with them intensely bonding over work that can kill you is a pretty close second - definitely builds strong relationships that have been very rewarding!

But we finished off today - exhausted, inspired and barely able to keep my eyes open, I decided to make the most of a spare Summers afternoon in Richmond, Virginia and go sightseeing.

It is a truly beautiful city - the Shockoe canal area is so vibrant and full of great bars, restaurants and cafes. We have had some great experiences at Ale houses, organic cafe's and Cuban club's so far.  Today, with the early mark, I soaked up the sun and watched the canal flow past whilst eating lunch near a funky cafe pumping out music, before jumping on a cruise.

Then thanks to my hotel being booked out by graduating high school students (and its a big hotel!) I had to move across town for my last night. I am now staying in the most amazing historic hotel made of restored row houses, built where Edgar Allan Poe grew up. It is fitted out with antiques loaned from the Richmond historical society and still has the slave quarters standing.

My room with real fireplace and huge bed and ceilings



The back of house of hotel - renovated row houses, these wooden verandahs are the access to your rooms and are very creaky, amazing - I feel like I am in old day Richmond!


View from my other hotel
The Capitol

Cruising the canel to look at Tobacco way - all the old tobacco warehouses have been renovated into amazing loft apartments - this is the old Lucky Strike warehouse





0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I