Monday, 4 June 2012
Wow, one minute it was 3.30am and I was blearily packing the last few things in my bag (which I did a terrible job of - I forgot HEAPS!) and then it was a blur of 32 hours, five airports, four planes, airport lounges, rushed ticketing for boarding passes, a long desperate run for a plane changeover of only 10 minutes and more pat downs and security checks then I care to remember. And I found myself in Virginia, US.
In a lovely hotel room actually. In a gorgeous area full of cobblestone lanes,old fashioned street lamps, canals and old flour mills converted into apartments and restaurants.
But after only 3 hours plane sleep in 32 hours of travel - boy did I sleep deeply for 9 hours straight in the plump bed. I don't think I moved at all - probably also a left over habit from trying to sleep in a plane seat without bothering my neighbours...
This is my first time in the US and I am loving that it is all the cliches I expected - all fire hydrants, big yank tanks and copious amounts of inventive junk food - corn chips inside a cheese burrito anyone?!
I have also found that they are struggling to understand me with my accent, that I loathe sale tax preventing me from working out exact change to pay for things and that tipping is irritating. That LA was grey and ugly when I arrived but I saw a celebrity within 10mins of landing (OK so it was an Aus celebrity lol - Curtis Stone but still!), that they know how to build pretty homes in the country areas and that they are terrible at giving receipts which is going to make my work expense claim back a nightmare.
I went jogging this morning and loved the beautiful canal walks where the old buildings are being done up and where the city is embracing its creative art reputation with street art everywhere.
Then I hit the shops. It wasn't easy to get to them actually - it took two very expensive taxi rides as they are so far out of the CBD and had non-existent public transport (thanks to my personal taxi driver Ed, who drive back out 2.5 hours later to bring me back to the hotel, such a country sweetie!). And they don't open until midday on a Sunday - weird. But oh how I enjoyed them. Particularly as I left all my work pants at home and needed a full five days of work clothes for my workshop - good work me. I scored lovely work pants and a thicker cardigan (who told me it was 28 degrees here! Its not my version of Qld humid 28 degrees, brr! ) from Banana Republic, some great presents for the kids, a belt style I have been looking for in the shops for over 3 months now and then.... spoiled myself with the prettiest Michael Kors bag.
OK no more shopping - I have welcome drinks in 1 hours time for the course and then it is all work and no-play for the rest of the week until my free day in LA on the way home next Sunday..
In a lovely hotel room actually. In a gorgeous area full of cobblestone lanes,old fashioned street lamps, canals and old flour mills converted into apartments and restaurants.
But after only 3 hours plane sleep in 32 hours of travel - boy did I sleep deeply for 9 hours straight in the plump bed. I don't think I moved at all - probably also a left over habit from trying to sleep in a plane seat without bothering my neighbours...
This is my first time in the US and I am loving that it is all the cliches I expected - all fire hydrants, big yank tanks and copious amounts of inventive junk food - corn chips inside a cheese burrito anyone?!
I have also found that they are struggling to understand me with my accent, that I loathe sale tax preventing me from working out exact change to pay for things and that tipping is irritating. That LA was grey and ugly when I arrived but I saw a celebrity within 10mins of landing (OK so it was an Aus celebrity lol - Curtis Stone but still!), that they know how to build pretty homes in the country areas and that they are terrible at giving receipts which is going to make my work expense claim back a nightmare.
I went jogging this morning and loved the beautiful canal walks where the old buildings are being done up and where the city is embracing its creative art reputation with street art everywhere.
| The canal walk |
| Some of the street art scattered amongst the old architecture |
Then I hit the shops. It wasn't easy to get to them actually - it took two very expensive taxi rides as they are so far out of the CBD and had non-existent public transport (thanks to my personal taxi driver Ed, who drive back out 2.5 hours later to bring me back to the hotel, such a country sweetie!). And they don't open until midday on a Sunday - weird. But oh how I enjoyed them. Particularly as I left all my work pants at home and needed a full five days of work clothes for my workshop - good work me. I scored lovely work pants and a thicker cardigan (who told me it was 28 degrees here! Its not my version of Qld humid 28 degrees, brr! ) from Banana Republic, some great presents for the kids, a belt style I have been looking for in the shops for over 3 months now and then.... spoiled myself with the prettiest Michael Kors bag.
| They do shopping centres, sorry "malls" well here - too pretty to walk fast through! |
| Oh Macy's - I am in love - and thanks to Mum for telling me to push for discounting! |
| My one little treat (well besides some duty free make-up, but that is practically a requirement!)) |
OK no more shopping - I have welcome drinks in 1 hours time for the course and then it is all work and no-play for the rest of the week until my free day in LA on the way home next Sunday..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5 comments:
Oh I love this post! Enjoy your trip. America is amazing!!! AndI love that you went shopping already, when you said you did a bad job of packing I immediately thought 'go shopping'! Enjoy!
Yay Amy!! Sounds fantastic....I am so jealous, Richmond Virginia is on my list of 'must get to one day' places. The blog Young House Love featured that same street art a few weeks back...it was really cool to recognize it on an Aussie girl's blog! I am loving your Michael Kors bag too :)
So glad that you're enjoying your trip. You've certainly earned it.
Strange about the receipts - they are usually quite good about that sort of thing.
Yes, the tipping is very annoying - especially as the one dollar notes look so similar from the one hundred dollar notes.
What a great handbag, good luck for the next week.
Leaving the pants at home was on purpose wasn't it - so you HAD to go to the shops lol
I think the flights were worth it for that handbag. Enjoy the rest of your trip
Hooray you made it! and what, not one mention of the children or husband? lol just kidding! I wouldn't do that to you.
What a great way to start off your arrival, well second after your much needed rest.
Have a great week and enjoy your free day in LA. Look forward to reading more later!
Post a Comment