Wednesday, 28 January 2009

(Image from health-pictures.com)

A bit of a serious post. Less than 2 years ago, Jases uncle - a Masters Games medal winning swimmer discovered that a small skin tag on his forehead was in fact a malignant melanoma. Less than 6 months later, he passed away from secondary cancers in his brain. A total tragedy and a complete waste, he was a lovely man. I think sadly about him often.

Both Jase and I spend a lot of time outside - we both always have. Both having grown up near the beach and me being a horserider competing from a young age. We are now older and wiser and much more careful with sun protection. In fact a large pump pack of sunblock stays outside on our verandah and we use it everytime we head outside to do things around the farm.

However, Australians should have mole checks at least every two years by a professional. We opt for yearly as Jase is prone to large moles. That is where we were today. I had one mole photographed and poor Jase had upwards of twenty. We both had moles removed for biopsy at our last check.

The Dr also explained to me that my skin type is more likely to suffer the colourless skin tag type lesions. Basically, it looks likes some raised skin that you cannot scratch off. This is what killed Jase's uncle - so hard to see and so harmless looking.

Pregnancy also caused me to form a number of new moles - these were all OK but it was nice to have them checked. Our check-ups done by a professional Dr and using a dermal imaging device cost a grand $20 - very worth it to me and my peace of mind.

When was your last check?

1 comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} said...

You've made me feel sick with worry. I am always so worried about skin cancer.

I will book for a check up, and book Hubby in too.

It's terribly scary stuff. xx

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I