Wednesday, 30 December 2009
I haven't had much time to stop and reflect - I can't believe that tomorrow is New Years Eve! So I trying to take 10 minutes now. We are hosting a quiet BBQ for some friends - I have no plans to make it anywhere near midnight at this point lol.

I am not listing any New Years Resolutions in my blog - I gave that away a few years ago. I like to reflect on my lifestyle and character quite often anyway and often apply redirection throughout the year, so there is nothing standout that needs particular attention or an "official" resolution. (I would try to stop eating chocolate but that is just one of my pregnancy symptoms so who am I to try and resist it lol).

This year Elka has gone from a 6 month old baby who had just starting crawling to an 18 month old toddler that speaks in sentences and understands just about everything. Its a big change when you reflect on it! We had a great time celebrating her first birthday with a polka dot themed party.

I finished my 7 month stint as a stay at home mum and went back to work 2 days a week, which I then upped to 3 days a week as I just couldn't achieve enough. I love balancing care for Elka with work - work is such a pleasure with the mental challenge and "me time". Elka has come to adore daycare also - she is currently on holidays with me and is constantly asking me about her daycare friends lol. I think people think I am mad but I have discovered that I just can't not work - its just too much a part of me (and I get lonely and stir crazy on a farm by myself!)

I got a fantastic promotion at work - Jase got awarded another level too. We are very appreciative of our wonderful careers and where we are. Especially in a year when things were tight for a lot of people.

We started organising our house extensions - including numerous visits to display homes and pouring over our draftmans sketches. We got a very pleasing valuation from our bank so we are ready to start. Plans go to council in January and I am getting very excited for our new entertainment deck and extra rooms. Decorating will be a new challenge for next year.

I also found out I was pregnant and expecting our second baby in September. Its been a rough couple of months of 24 hour sickness but I am through the other side of the worst of that now (hopefully). Which gives me plenty of time to stress about having two little ones and the labour of course ;)

I had a good season of horse competitions - Spech and I concentrated on a lot of showjumping and cross country and he conquered alot of his nerves and even placed in a tricky open showjumping competition. I was sorry to have to put him back in the paddock once I found I was pregnant. I am hoping to make one or two competitions next year whilst recovering from giving birth and juggling the newborn and Elka - needless to say I don't have any big goals for Spech and I!

We spent a lot of time on improving and maintaining our property. We paved our laundry courtyard which looks fantastic and has proven to be worth its cost and pain many times over. We finished retaining walls, completed drainage, put in new gardens and irrigation and have started new paths with both pavers and concrete set cobblestones. We have had a lot of rain this year and the paddocks are full of grass currently, we even made it through this year with spare hay - its been a good year in that regards.

We did lose our dear little chook Bertie at the grand age of 5. She went to sleep one night and didn't wake up - a lovely gentle way to slip away for such an amazing boof of a character.

Jase and I celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary (with a baby in tow who refused to stay asleep in the restaurant and provided great laughs for the neighbouring tables) and actually managed a few romantic weekends away to both Brisbane and Sydney by ourselves. We have laughed, loved and bickered our way through our 9th year of being together. He is certainly showing the patience that I love so much in him with me being a whinging mess of a pregnant woman.

We have shared happy and sad news with a lot of friends and family. I feel blessed that my near family have all been in good health and reasonable spirits.

It's been a good year - I am a lucky person as I can generally always say this at the end of my yearly reflections. I am a little shocked that it will be 2010 next - the last decade has truly flown but in the most wonderful, exciting ways.

This next year will bring a new baby and the completion of our little family, the changes to our house to make it our "dream" layout, a romantic holiday away for Jase and I for our 5th wedding anniversary (already booked) and more hard work for both of us. I also hope that it brings a lot of joy, achievement and laughs.. if your path behind is any indication of your path ahead then I am sure that it will.

Happy New Year!!

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Happy New Year!

You have certainly achieved a great deal, and you deserve to feel accomplished. You and Jase have both worked very hard this year to improve your lives and your home. Hope that the pregnancy is still going well and that the BBQ is a success.

Deb said...

Happy New Year to you Amy! I hope 2010 brings you everything you wish for :)

Amy said...

Thanks guys!

Sending you both lots of New Year wishes too xoxo

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I