Sunday, 7 March 2010
I have been loving the big planter boxes that Jase built in our laundry courtyard when we paved it. One box contains the beginnings of a country garden that I am doing in layers of plants of different heights - next layer to buy is lavenders.

But the other box is my herb garden. They all started as teeny herbs last year and we nursed them through a few scorching Summer months. They are now enjoying the very wet couple of weeks we have had and are growing beautifully. I love wandering through in the afternoons after feeding the chickens and grabbing handfuls of herbs to throw into dinner. Elka loves to pick the leaves and smell them - we have grown lemon basil and pineapple sage specifically for her to enjoy. Jase also has built seating edging around the boxes so that we can sit or rest the washing baskets when hanging out the washing on the line, very handy!

I have a few more herbs yet to get - we need a sage plant as we make a fantastic sage and pumpkin pasta. But its a great little addition to what was an empty courtyard.

Before - building the boxes and paving



After - the herbs growing big and strong in this great rain

3 comments:

Kellyansapansa said...

They look fantastic! We're about to start some major garden renovations - I can't wait to have a nice outdoor area.

britt@absolutealaia said...

Looking great! Ours are very similar and have grown so out of control that we are giving away so many herbs...even to our local Thai restaurant :-P

britt@absolutealaia said...

Looking great! Ours are very similar and have grown so out of control that we are giving away so many herbs...even to our local Thai restaurant :-P

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I