Friday, 25 June 2010
My littlest one is no longer a sleepy newborn. She opens her eyes and really looks around. She loves swatting the noisy toys on her play mat and she is one determined miss who goes straight to screams if she is not content. She is a brilliant feeder and loves cuddles. She will drift off to sleep happily in my arms and spring her eyes open as soon as I try to put her in the cot. This is so different to Elka who was an independent bub who loved to self settle and wasn't keen on being held to sleep.

She already has strong blue eyes - the nurse the other day asked if my other daughter had really blue eyes and when I said yes, she said that Bronte would too. Elka's eyes are quite stunning so I am pleased that Bronte is blessed with pretty eyes too.

She likes to cat nap during the day, I am trying when I can to teach her to put herself to sleep in the cot as she is already waking after only one sleep cycle and I don't want to face this problem later on. She has responded well to patting to sleep, although we do occasionally resort to the dummy, which is all new to us as Elka never had one. However, she is a champion sleeper at night - we put her down at about 6-7pm and she doesn't stir until 1am and then sleeps through to 6-7am. I was not expecting that from a 3 week old - it has been wonderful!

She is starting to give me good eye contact and I got the beginnings of an opened mouth grin yesterday, it was lovely. I loved those first heartwarming grins.

She is in 000 now and collecting little fat chins that roll down onto her neck. Sometimes I marvel at how alike to Elka she can be and other times they look so very different. Its so fun watching and wondering how she will grow and change. Its quite fun being the second time as I know roughly what is coming and am looking forward to each stage whilst being quite relaxed about it all.

I am still loving having Jase home to help me - but I am starting to mentally prepare for when I am alone and juggling the two. Elka is taking her big sister role quite seriously and loves to rock or bounce Bronte or pat her if she is crying, very sweet.

We have Bronte's big hearing test next week - they sent the instructions today and I didnt know whether to laugh or cry at the letter telling me not to let the baby sleep in the car on the way to the test and to have them turn up hungry and ready for sleep. Maybe an easy task for people in the city but we have a 1hr drive simply to get to the hospital and I have no close family to "help keep the baby awake in the car" like they suggest. I will have to drive in early and then walk the streets close to the hospital for an hour or so to keep her awake I think. Oh the joys! Hoping she passes - her hearing seems OK - she startles at noises and Elka is quite gifted at waking her up so hoping that it will all be alright.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bronte is just adorable. I am a teacher of the Deaf for work and I am curious why they want Bronte at 3 weeks to be awake for the test? What tests exactly is she having for the ones I have seen it wouldn't matter if she was asleep

Simone said...

it's amazing how they grow so quickly and are so different. Felix is better sleeper then oliver but is still not brilliant

Amy said...

Oh sorry Chelle - to elaborate, they want them awake to arrive so they can sleep for the duration of the test ;)

BB said...

I love this stage... makes me a bit clucky to be honest!! That pre-hearing test instruction is crazy - I hear you! (Oy bad pun!)
:-)
BB
PS Can you update your link for me, purty please? Thanks for having me on your blogroll!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that things are going so well - and what a great sleeper!! I am really hoping that this girl is a better sleeper than Zoe - I didn't get a full nights sleep until she was 13 months!!

Anonymous said...

I love reading how things are going with Bronte. I nod along knowingly. Jobe slept well for weeks (I think, geez i forget so quickly) and then came the catnapping during the day.......but all is great now! Love that she is already a good sleeper at night. It helps so much doesn't it.

Good luck with the tests Amy. I'm sure all will be good.

Mel said...

Bronte is just amazing Amy! I thought Ashleigh was pretty good at sleeping from 11pm-5am from about 8wks onwards, but Bronte is doing so well in that area! Love those gorgeous newborn smiles - so perfect! Hope the hearing test goes well - but from what you're saying I'm sure she'll be fine. :)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I