I had been experiencing prelabour for a week or two, lots of semi painful regular Braxton Hicks and back ache. I was barely sleeping and getting increasingly frustrated with myself. My tummy had measured 3-4 weeks ahead in fundal height since 30 weeks and I was incredibly uncomfortable. Not helped of course, by every strangers well intentioned comments about how I was carrying out in front and what a large baby it was going to be. My lovely parents took Elka home with them for the weekend, giving me a break from the whirlwind of life with a toddler and also giving Jase and I the chance to have a lovely weekend of nice meals out and shopping for Elka’s 2nd birthday.
Monday the 30th of May, at 39.5 weeks, my obs assured me it wouldn’t be long and that bubs was 3/5 engaged. The Tuesday, I stayed home all day (unusual for me) and felt very out of sorts and low spirited. That night I got a painful contraction every hour but just ignored them and tried to sleep. When I woke in the morning, my lower back was aching terribly and the pains had dropped to every 15 mins. Jase decided to stay home from work to give me some support and Mum, Jase and I drove into the city to take Elka to her Wednesday daycare day. We decided to wander around the shops to try and keep the contractions coming. I waddled very slowly and although we shopped for something like 5 hours, we barely covered more than a fifth of the shopping centre. Everyone else grabbed bargains in the sales but I was very disinterested in shopping altogether (in hindsight, a sure sign I was not myself!). We headed home to rest for a few hours. After a shower at 4pm, I noticed the intensity of the contractions increase, they had dropped to 8 mins apart and I could feel pressure. I rang the hospital and due to us living semi-rural, they wanted me to come in straight away as we had a good 40min drive. When I got off the phone, I realised I had had two contractions in that time and the phone call was only 3 mins long. Cue Jase rushing around like a madman feeding all the farm animals and finishing our bag packing. Mum was off picking up Elka from daycare, so we spoke to her and she decided to meet us at the hospital. Despite Jase looking stressed and swearing that he wasn’t delivering bub on the side of the highway, we had a great trip in, even through the current local roadworks that normally require a 15 minute wait at a stop/go man, much to his relief. I remember being quite uncomfortable and watching the cars digital clock and noticing that the contractions were 3-4 mins apart. We met Mum at the front of the hospital and gave Elka a big hug and kiss. She was sad that she wasn;t allowed to come in with us but we wanted her to go home to have dinner and to get a good sleep. I watched her little face as she stared back at us as she was carried through the twilight to the car to go home, and realised that was the last time she would be my only child.
We met our lovely midwife Evie who ushered us through to our birthing suite. We were pleased it was a different room to the one we had with Elka as we really wanted a different experience this time (Elka’s was an 18hr labour with no dilation after two weeks of prelabour and hours of strong contractions, failure to progress in 2nd stage labour requiring being confined to bed, ARM, multiple syntocin drips, gas that made me hyperventilate, a failed epidural with four top ups that didn’t work, nearly 2 hours of pushing, a broken vacuum that sent the obs flying across the room and an episiotomy).
Evie asked our birth plan as she hooked me up for monitoring – we specified that we would prefer limited interventions, particularly syntocin and that we weren’t keen on pethidine or gas and were hopeful for an active birth as long as possible. The monitoring trace showed good peaking contractions every two minutes or so but they were only lasting a minute. I had an internal and we were relieved to hear that I was 3cm dilated. Evie unhooked me and left us to our active birthing. I walked and stomped the pain away in the contractions or lent over the bed on a bean bag and just breathed through the pain. We headed to the shower and I enjoyed the double shower heads. We even ate some of the hot dinner that was delivered to the suite. Evie started some more monitoring as she was concerned that I wasn’t progressing and sure enough the contractions hadn’t changed much. We went for a slow walk around the ward and to check out our room as we had requested a double bed room for Jase to stay. When I got back, the obs arrived, commented that I looked way too cheery and did another internal. Much to our disappointment, I was still only 3cm dilated after 3 hours of contractions. He decided to break my waters at 8.15pm and after watching the end of Masterchef with us, he declared he was going home for a few hours and would expect to see us again around midnight to see how things had progressed.
There was a large amount of meconium in my waters so according to hospital policy I was now required to stay on the bed with constant monitoring on. They also put a clip into bubs head for a constant heartrate monitor as her heartbeat was too consistent and not rising and falling with the contractions like they wanted it to be. Evie left us to deal with the now stronger contractions how we wanted. I rolled slightly onto to my right side and Jase would press hard on my lower back through the contractions whilst I hit the bed loudly with my open palm to distract myself with the movement and sound and I was saying loudly the mantra of “its good pain, its good pain”. The contractions were now very strong and were not releasing before the next one was starting and I was whinging about how much water was still gushing out. By 9.10pm (55 mins after having my waters breaking), the intensity was so strong, I was yelling my mantra, slamming my hands and thinking desperately that I would need some pain relief as midnight seemed a very long way away! I suddenly felt incredibly nauseous and started demanding a sick bowl. Then with the next contraction – the pain had changed and all I could scream was “ow” rather than my mantra and I was making primal grunting noises and I realised I was pushing. Evie the midwife came running in, worried to hear that I was pushing. She tried to get me to stop as she thought it was way too soon and quickly did an internal before saying “wow you are 9cm”, she ran off to call the obs to get him to rush in from home. Jase and I were shocked – from 3cm to 9cm in less than one hour, and a minute of nausea to indicate transition. I started pushing with massive primal grunting – I have never felt anything like that pushing urge, it is the most powerful thing my body has ever done. I remember thinking that I would be so frightened as a pregnant woman if I walked past the birthing suites and heard the noises that were coming out of me!
The obs came rushing into the room, threw his keys on the table and said “oh I better get my gumboots on!”. He and Jase took a side each and coached me through the pushes. I could feel her moving down with every push and Jase was so supportive and encouraging – I could see in his face that this was really happening and I felt so positive despite the pain and shaking legs from the adrenalin of it all happening so fast. I was still in disbelief that it could be happening so quickly after Elka’s 18 hour labour. After a few more contractions, I felt bubs crown and now instead of my grunting, I was screaming “ow ow ow” over and over, I think there was an F-bomb in there also, the obs tried to coach me to “push, don’t push, little pushes etc” but although I was listening I don’t think my body really was and I think this is what caused my tearing. Once her head was out she needed a lot of suctioning thanks to all the meconium and I could see that Jase was worrying but I felt calm. With the next contraction, her shoulders were delivered and I felt that fantastic feeling of her slithering out and being thrown up onto my chest immediately.
We were so unprepared for a fast labour that I was still in my bra and hospital nighty so we were desperately trying to get me all out of it so I could have bare skin time and so bubs could feed straight away. She latched straight on and continued to feed strongly for about 45 minutes. We could all tell she was a big bub and the midwife predicted over 4kgs – she was right, she weighed in at 4.17kg or 9pound3. Jase revealed that he thought she had had the cord around her neck but then had realised that it was just a big neck roll of fat!
After she had finally finished feeding and my second degree tearing was stitched up (requiring more local needles then I ever want to get in sensitive regions again!), I got up for a shower and had a massive temperature dive that resulted in uncontrollable shaking. So I had to be taken in a wheelchair wrapped in warmed blankets for Bronte’s wash. It was a quiet night in the maternity ward – only 2 births and so all of the midwives were coming to congratulate me as they heard it was a 9pd3 bub born drug free. I hadn’t thought much of it, being on a high of seeing my baby and having had a labour with pain relief and one without, I now realised that either way is simply a great achievement in itself, but it was nice to have people acknowledge that she was a big bub for me and that it was damn hard work! I am just so pleased to have had such a positive birthing experience filled with love and laughter, Jase and I felt so close and it was a true team effort.
We settled into our lovely room and I spent a sleepless night buzzing on adrenaline whilst Bronte and Jase happily slept. Elka met Bronte the next morning and she was so excited and her face when she got to hold Bronte just melted my heart and was one of the best moments of my life. She still adores Bronte and may kill her with kindness. My parents minded Elka for our four night hospital stay so that we could rest and relax and bond with Bronte which was wonderful.
Bronte is a champion feeder. I am recovering well although the pregnancy chiro said that unfortunately due to the huge out in front bump that I had, I have the worst abdominal separation she has seen and she was sceptical that I would be back horseriding for at least 3 months. She did support my goal of 6 weeks however, so I have a lot of exercises to do to achieve this.
I am loving being a mummy of two and am smitten with my girls. Her name is because we loved the name Bronte, that its relatively uncommon and thought it worked with Elka being another strong girls name and it reminded us of Jase’s nannas name- Bonnie.
Bronte
9pd3 (4.17kg)
51cm, head 35.4cm
Labour – about 5 hrs 45mins all up
The all important pictures:
Elka meeting Bronte for the first time - she is smitten
My not so small girl in her going home outfit
Elka had made a welcome home sign with balloons and she ran straight past me to Bronte despite not seeing me properly for 5 days!
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4 comments:
Ohh Amy she is just darling, so beautiful, great birth story for you, i'm so glad it all went how you wanted...although to be honest its all brought back too many memories and i'm dreading it again now hehe
Anyways can't wait to meet her and have newborn baby cuddles, take care!
Oh Wow Amy! She is just gorgeous. :) Massive Congratulations to you for getting through the latter stages of this pregnancy given she was so big for you, and even bigger Congratulations for getting through her birth drug free, and having the birth that you wanted.
That to me is just so impressive! After Liam's traumatic birth (very similar to your experience with Elka) I wasn't keen to even go anywhere near birthing without drugs. I was so happy with my decision and know how it felt to come out of a birth that I was just so happy with - I know that you'll be on top of the world for quite some time.
Hope to catch up soon - but in the mean time, make sure you share heaps of photos with us!
Enjoy your gorgeous family.
xxx
OH, a massive congratulations on your new arrival! Your little girls are just gorgeous! xx
Amy that pic of Elka meeting Bronte for the first time just melts my heart every time I see it :)
You are so lucky and you did so well during your labour!!
Post a Comment