Wednesday, 22 September 2010
So I have had a flurry of medical appointments for Bronte in the last two days. Its all pretty serious now, as in she now has the tag of permanent hearing loss and we are waiting for the appointment to get hearing aids fitted. I am all OK with it until I think about my little one's sweet baby head marred with ugly plastic pieces of electronics and then I get a little wobbly. I know I haven't processed it all properly as I tend to push it all deep down and move on. I am just determined to do the best by Bronte and I am glad that we are well off and in a position to make the most of private specialists etc. My mantra is "give me the strength to accept what I cannot change.."
I am also so appreciative of the amazing support that I have received from other Mums - I must say that Mums who have been through the rollercoaster of having a little one diagnosed with a problem are just wonderful at giving advice and offering up their experiences.
I am a bit tense at the moment, I am finding Elka to be quite a handful this week. She is very bright and I am finding that I am dealing with a whole different level of misbehaviour to most other Mums with two year olds. Most people are a little taken back when I describe Elka's defiance and ways of avoiding/defusing punishments for her deliberate acting out. Most of my friends 2yr olds simply have a tantrum and then move on with life. She loves getting in trouble and enjoys punishments such as time out and having her toys taken away - she will tell me she is going to "be naughty" so that she can get in "trouble". Even my best sources of advice including my Mum have no suggestions left with how to best deal with Elka currently. I am just focusing on rewarding her positive behaviour and trying to go with the flow. With Bronte doing mulitple nightfeeds again and the tradies starting work at 6am, I am finding that I am exhausted before I begin the day which doesn't help my patience. I am very much looking forward to going back to work!
I am starting to get a little claustrophobic with the building site too - I long to have my front yard back and to be able to walk from my car to my front door, rather than parking in a paddock and carrying a baby in capsule and a whinging toddler (who also insists on being carried - I don't need a gym!) around to the back of my house. There are large amounts of tradies at the work site at the moment - great for progress but not so great for privacy and quiet.
We have also been dealing with this kind of weather:

But despite the rain, having the roof on and the fact that our entire extension is surrounded by large wrap around verandahs has meant that we can get a lot of work still done. We now have the electrical wires all done, the gyprock all up and patched inside for the walls and ceilings, the cavities for the sliding doors done, the inserts above the windows done, the bricks almost all up and the battens for the ceilings on the decks and verandahs started. The ensuite waterproofing should be done soon and then the tiling. Definitely on the home stretch now!
I am also so appreciative of the amazing support that I have received from other Mums - I must say that Mums who have been through the rollercoaster of having a little one diagnosed with a problem are just wonderful at giving advice and offering up their experiences.
I am a bit tense at the moment, I am finding Elka to be quite a handful this week. She is very bright and I am finding that I am dealing with a whole different level of misbehaviour to most other Mums with two year olds. Most people are a little taken back when I describe Elka's defiance and ways of avoiding/defusing punishments for her deliberate acting out. Most of my friends 2yr olds simply have a tantrum and then move on with life. She loves getting in trouble and enjoys punishments such as time out and having her toys taken away - she will tell me she is going to "be naughty" so that she can get in "trouble". Even my best sources of advice including my Mum have no suggestions left with how to best deal with Elka currently. I am just focusing on rewarding her positive behaviour and trying to go with the flow. With Bronte doing mulitple nightfeeds again and the tradies starting work at 6am, I am finding that I am exhausted before I begin the day which doesn't help my patience. I am very much looking forward to going back to work!
I am starting to get a little claustrophobic with the building site too - I long to have my front yard back and to be able to walk from my car to my front door, rather than parking in a paddock and carrying a baby in capsule and a whinging toddler (who also insists on being carried - I don't need a gym!) around to the back of my house. There are large amounts of tradies at the work site at the moment - great for progress but not so great for privacy and quiet.
We have also been dealing with this kind of weather:
But despite the rain, having the roof on and the fact that our entire extension is surrounded by large wrap around verandahs has meant that we can get a lot of work still done. We now have the electrical wires all done, the gyprock all up and patched inside for the walls and ceilings, the cavities for the sliding doors done, the inserts above the windows done, the bricks almost all up and the battens for the ceilings on the decks and verandahs started. The ensuite waterproofing should be done soon and then the tiling. Definitely on the home stretch now!
The new bricks of the extension facing the camera (existing house is the right wall) - those two windows are the study, there are mirror image windows on the other side, to the left is the open car port and to the right is the new door that enters into the extension living room (is not our main entry door though). It needs painting yet, that is not the colour of it!

The builder knocked through our current house wall the other day which felt like a major milestone. Between the two kids bedrooms is a hallway that just ended with the exterior brick wall as the place was designed for an extension to be put on at the end of the hallway (as we have done) all along. The hall had cupboard doors on it and it has been a very handy cupboard for the last four years but it is now our connecting hallway! It is very exciting to see the light coming in through this hallway from the huge wall of double glass doors in the new living room.
And so that is my update - kids and house extensions... most of what keeps me busy at the moment. However, honourable mention should go to shopping ;) I have been splurging on some lovely clothes from Witchery lately - damn their sales and discount vouchers! I have been a little lax on the horseriding - just some gentle weekend rides, I am not certain I will be competition ready before the end of show season, so am planning more for being on top of my game for next year instead..
However, with stress, lack of sleep and looking after the farm, I have dropped another kilo and am only 3kgs off my lightest weight. Always good for summer!
The hallway - where the tiles stop on the floor is where the house used to end with a brick wall - it now opens into the living room, our new master bedroom is to the right at the end of the hall, doorway not quite visible.
And so that is my update - kids and house extensions... most of what keeps me busy at the moment. However, honourable mention should go to shopping ;) I have been splurging on some lovely clothes from Witchery lately - damn their sales and discount vouchers! I have been a little lax on the horseriding - just some gentle weekend rides, I am not certain I will be competition ready before the end of show season, so am planning more for being on top of my game for next year instead..
However, with stress, lack of sleep and looking after the farm, I have dropped another kilo and am only 3kgs off my lightest weight. Always good for summer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

1 comments:
Wow! I'm still in awe of everything that you're going through - virtually on your own with the two kids.
And I have no advice for what to do with your very clever little Elka! That is just amazingly advanced behaviour - I would be doing the same as you're doing - ignoring the bad behaviour and rewarding the good. Positive reinforcement has to be better than negative. Could it be attention seeking? Sorry I have nothing else to offer.
And I'm sure Bronte will still look as gorgeous as she does now - the advances in hearing technology have been phenomenal in recent years, so if you don't look closely, you probably won't know that she has hearing loss as she grows older. Plus being a girl she has the added advantage of being able to grow her hair long and hide if it she is self conscious about it. :) Think of the positives, otherwise it will overwhelm you.
Thinking of you!
xxx
Post a Comment