Thursday, 14 October 2010


We saved money on our extension by opting to paint the walls, ceilings and concrete ourselves. Sounds good and looks good financially but with a newborn and a toddler and an unsafe worksite it can be pretty tricky.

This is seriously I how did some of our cutting in the other day! Bronte is having a bit of a Mummy velcro stage at the moment and the painting still needed doing whilst we had a toddler free day.. (no comments on my sexy painting outfit and hairstyle please!)


We have our paint colours all organised now - deciding was nearly as hard as getting the painting done!

The windows are metal powder coated in Dulux White Pearl so that is the colour we have chosen for our architraves and skirting boards. Our house is decorated in a French Provincial style so this off white works well. The base colour for the walls is Dulux Crewelwork - a lovely warm neutral that is very close to the base colour in the original house whilst still suiting the White Pearl and the new tiles and ensuite tiles of the extension. I am looking forward to seeing it throughout the new rooms!

The top is Crewelwork and the bottom is White Pearl in gloss for the architraves. A little hard to make out but a better idea of colour then the online colour chips


The external areas of the house are painted in Colourbond Classic Cream whilst the infills above the windows are done in the Dulux White Pearl to tie in the windows. I am still undecided if the timber top rail of the verandah fences will be in a contrasting colour or just the Classic Cream..

6 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Well done, ace work & zero babysitting fees!! Somehow we just manage + you're getting a double arm work out!! Sure it ached a little afterwards. Great work, love Posie

Mel said...

Go you! I can't imagine painting whilst holding a bub - but as Posie said, we somehow just do what needs to be done and manage! I remember painting skirting boards with no carpet on the floor when I was 26wks pregnant with Liam - I didn't think about it, just did it.

Love your colour choice as well - as you know I'm now tossing up using Dulux Crewelwork as well - it is a gorgeous colour and I agree - goes well with the white. Our place has white architraves and skirtings already, so at least that part is done for us!

Can't help you with the verandah colours - I guess you could do them the classic cream and if you change your mind later it would be easier to go darker/different later on (as opposed to back the other way). :)

Amy said...

LOL Posie, you crack me up!

Mel - you got it - that is what I am thnking about the verdandah rail too..

Sars said...

Great job, painting sucks!!
You should grab a sling or hugabub Amy, would make it way easier to paint with Bronte!

Amy said...

No such luck! I have slings and a carrier - Bronte won't have a bar of any of them :(

Lydia said...

I thought of you today when I had to translate this in French class "Pour cinq personnes, il faudrait compter 150-160 metres carres" ("For five people, you will need [a home] around 150-160 square meters"). My French teacher lives in a place that is 27 square meters. You are so lucky to have so much space.

I have read of some parents giving their kids a bucket of water and a brush, and letting them 'paint' the outside walls. Maybe Elka would enjoy that? Although that could encourage some disasters down the line - but it's your home not mine :)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I