Friday, 1 October 2010
So I have had the girls for nearly a week now. They have adapted to life in a chicken pen remarkably well. I am letting them out with my original chickens now and although they are keeping their distance thanks to some pecks, they are still following the chickens around and taking on their routine.

I have noticed some behaviour I am not used to in a chicken from them - they don't like to wander far from chainlink wire, even when out in the run, they will stand with their heads against the wire fence. They also sleep with their heads against the wire mesh of the edge of the chicken yard. So they obviously don't feel secure yet unless they feel like they are still in cage. Poor girls, hope that passes soon.

They also sleep like they are in bunk beds (Mums rescue chickens are doing the same thing) - one chicken sleeps in the cat travel box I have given them (until my chickens will let them sleep in the proper shed roost) and the other sleeps on top of the box!

They are already filling in feathers and are enjoying getting the daily bucket of food scraps to pick through. They are currently pecking their way through half a watermelon with happy clucks.

I had tears in my eyes the other day when I walked outside to see them both spreading out their meagre wings to have a big lie out basking in the sun. Its the simple things that make you happiest sometimes!


The two rescue girls venturing out to pick at some grass and to hang out with our original chickens (whilst keeping their distance to ensure they won't cop a peck - it will take a while for the old chickens to take them in)

5 comments:

Jazy said...

What a lovely idea to rescue some chickens. Will/do your rescue chickens lay any eggs?

Amy said...

They should Jazy. We have had one egg so far. Hoping they will go bck to laying once they settle in :)

Jazy said...

Hopefully. I'm sure they will be very happy on your little farm. :)
How do they seem to react to Elka? We are thinking about maybe getting a couple of chickens, and think this is such a lovely idea.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh what a lovely lesson in humanity. We're looking at buying land & starting a farm, our children are so excited they've already named the chickens & lambs!! We'll be able to offer a massive chicken run & enjoy their eggs. I hope your girls settle in quick smart & relax. Love Posie

britt@absolutealaia said...

It's so good to hear that are starting to adapt to their new lives. I told Eddie the other day what you had done and he got all excited until I reminded him that our block is too small. He desperately wants chickens :-P

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I