Sunday, 8 May 2011

Its a funny day isn't it - alot of sadness for so many that have empty arms or long to have their Mum back.

I had some lovely moments - Jase asked Elka to give me a sleep-in and would you know it - it worked! I woke at 7am and realised that I hadn't had a little visitor at 6am like normal and instead she was lying in her room singing songs and waiting patiently for Jase to tell her to bring in the present that was hidden in her cupboard. I also woke to a beautiful card that Bronte had "made" at daycare by my bedside (Elka couldn't help herself and gave me hers days ago!). I was spoiled with beautiful flowers and a pamper package and taken for a perfect picnic at one of my favourite places, lying under the snow gums watching Elka play and Bronte explore.

I don't fit the mothers day sterotype very well though - I am not a fan of breakfast in bed and don't like cooked breakfasts. So Jase wrangled the kids whilst I had my bowl of cereal and got to drink my milo while it was still warm - that was treat enough! And then, all I wanted was to be left alone so I got to ride the horses, wash one horses skanky tail that has Queensland itch in it and take out my gloves and axe to weed the paddocks of fireweed and cut saplings down. Yes really - I love the peace in the paddocks with the kookaburras calling, the lorikeets darting around and searching for a glimpse of the wallabies in the underbrush. Hard to forget that I am a mother though, when everytime I got close to the house, there were little faces pressed up against the glass waving out at me desperately. Nice to be needed though isn't it!

My mothers day was cut short however, by Jase flying out for a work trip. Hate seeing him go away and miss out on the girls at the best of times but even harder to have him leave on a family day like that. So I finished the afternoon playing with the girls alone and cooking my own dinner before doing the dinner/bath/bed rush, cleaned the house, ironed and marked some uni assignments.

But compared to the pain and loss I have read on other blogs and people that have been in my thoughts today, I would not dare to complain. I got to read my little ones bedtime stories tonight, cuddle them and sneak back in the dark to tuck them in listening to their sweet breathing. Best gift for a mother ever.

xo

1 comments:

Mel said...

Sounds like a lovely day! And you're right - its such a hard day for many people and hearing/reading about their experiences really does bring everything into perspective. Love the image of your girls plastered against the window waving at you in the paddock - just gorgeous!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I