Thursday, 4 August 2011
is anything that involves your little one and hospital. Today we had to take Bronte in for a CT scan on her head to check her ear structure in light of her permanant hearing loss. The trick being at her age, she has to have the scan under general anaesthetic.

It was a tricky day, I had been dreading the logistics of it for weeks - we had to be at a hospital that is 45 mins away by 6.45am and it was nil by mouth for Bronte. It was too early to take Elka to daycare so she came along. So... we dressed them and threw them in the car by 5.45am and due to not wanting to torture Bronte by consuming food or drink infront of her, we all had to fast. Yes even Elka! But getting there was only half the battle - despite being private,we still were warned we had a pretty big wait in front of us. And wait we did, in no less than four different waiting rooms as we were shunted along the production line.

But my beautiful girls were angels, playing quietly and never once whinging about hunger or thirst despite having been awake for over four hours without anything.

I got to take Bronte into the scan and help hold her down while they put her under. I handled all that OK but having to walk out without her carrying her little shoes and socks and her beloved bunny, was painful and my chest burnt with pain and my eyes were welling. And she was under for a lot longer than they had expected so the wait was extra tough. I couldnt walk any faster to get back in there when they said she was in recovery and seeing her wailing and thrashing with her eyes still heavy could only be dealt with by sweeping her up with big cuddles despite the cords. Fortunately, they have great policies for little ones, and I got to hold her on the hospital bed for the next 1.5 hours whilst she recovered - good for her and me!

They had to keep her under for so much longer as they had to take 10mL of blood and it took five different sites on her body to get it, poor little thing was covered in cotton wool and tape,as well as the bandage for the canula.



Much to the nurses shock, Bronte recovered her (large) appetite instantly and sqawked and gobbled herself through a huge yoghurt, a full cup of water, a vegemite sandwich, some homemade savoury muffins, a cup of milk and a couple of packets of snak jatz crackers! She certainly bounced back!

We rewarded our well behaved little girls with a trip to a big nearby park and a well deserved fast breaking lunch out.

I hadn't realised how tense I must have been until this afternoon when I almost crashed from exhaustion. So glad it is all over and now to wait for the results...

3 comments:

Amy said...

It's heart wrenching, watching your little ones in pain like that. I remember my son having to have a chest xray done, I was pregnant and couldn't go in with him- I stood outside crying the entire time while he cried out for Mummy.

Sounds like you all handled it really well, your brave little girl best of all!

Unknown said...

Sounds like both you and Bronte were particularly brave!

Karla said...

That would have been so hard to go through :( Glad you're on the other side & hope you get the results you're hoping for xo

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I