Tuesday, 2 August 2011
Hot
My new hair - loving being a redhead again! And its so short it naturally goes wavy which means I can get away with going to bed with it wet and then not brushing it and it looks styled. Score.
Work - am just loving my new expanded team of scientists. I finally have the capability to achieve so many of my dream projects. The flipside is that as their manager I am now snowed under with admin tasks and research management to keep the lab running so I don't get as much bench time as I would like. Oh and I over reached and agreed to take on two masters students at the same time - whoops, there goes any free time I did have!
My new reading glasses - I got two pairs and they are cats eye shapes which are so cute. COnsidering my last pair of glasses were bought in my first year of my PhD 9 years ago, I think an updated frame was well overdue!
Looking forward to having a gorgeous high tea with some of my fave friends this coming weekend. I love any excuse to dress up and drink champagne!
The days are getting longer!! So excited about this - soon I may not have to feed the animals and rug the horse in pitch black under floodlights. Something to be said about the light coming early in the morning and late in the evenings.
Not
My poor bubba Bronte having to have a general anaesthetic in hospital for a CT scan on Thursday. I am dreading it - not only because of the risks of the GA and the heartbreak of putting her through that and having to see her being taken away but because they want us at the hospital at 6.45am (its a 45 min drive for us to get there also) but its then a "cattle call" where we all wait in the waiting room and get called in by age order.... so she could have a long wait or a short wait depending on the ages of the other kids. Oh and did I mention she is nil by mouth from the night before - she is going to LOVE being stuck in a waiting room with no milk, water or breakfast. Hmm maybe I will be glad to see her taken away for the procedure after that!
My horse situation - I just can't adjust to only having one horse. I have never owned just one - they are a herd animal and I love having two keeping each other company. Sam seems OK with being alone - he is a bit stoic and aloof at the best of times. But it feels weird. AND Sam has developed a lameness at the trot. The dressage instructor I was riding with this past weekend is ever so hopeful that it is bridle lameness (caused by his inexperience - which his continuing training would rectify) but I am not so confident. So I have the equine vet booked in for Friday to come and assess him - she is packing the X ray machine, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it (sounds cheap right!? Got to love horses sigh). I am tipping an old racing injury that has probably re-emerged with the hard training he has been in since I started work on him. Competition work is too demanding for an unsound horse so alas this could be the end for him as my comp horse. WHich sends me back to the drawing board - namely shopping for a new horse (uurgh so stressful and daunting)
Why oh why did I agree to take on extra lecturing this semester. Its a horrible course (ie they want lots from me rather than just letting me turn up and talk) and the extra lectures are not even in my field of expertise. So I get to spend nights when I am normally getting extra work done for my job, juggling research for these new lectures. Forehead slap for me and my urge to always take on any career opportunity.
The fact that Jase and I just cannot get our work diaries to align so that we can take a few days off kids free to have a mini-holiday. My parents are ready to babysit, we just can;t find any days for the next few months that don't have one or the other of us commited. Sigh, romance is a tight squeeze in the life of two workaholic professionals it seems.
My new hair - loving being a redhead again! And its so short it naturally goes wavy which means I can get away with going to bed with it wet and then not brushing it and it looks styled. Score.
Work - am just loving my new expanded team of scientists. I finally have the capability to achieve so many of my dream projects. The flipside is that as their manager I am now snowed under with admin tasks and research management to keep the lab running so I don't get as much bench time as I would like. Oh and I over reached and agreed to take on two masters students at the same time - whoops, there goes any free time I did have!
My new reading glasses - I got two pairs and they are cats eye shapes which are so cute. COnsidering my last pair of glasses were bought in my first year of my PhD 9 years ago, I think an updated frame was well overdue!
Looking forward to having a gorgeous high tea with some of my fave friends this coming weekend. I love any excuse to dress up and drink champagne!
The days are getting longer!! So excited about this - soon I may not have to feed the animals and rug the horse in pitch black under floodlights. Something to be said about the light coming early in the morning and late in the evenings.
Not
My poor bubba Bronte having to have a general anaesthetic in hospital for a CT scan on Thursday. I am dreading it - not only because of the risks of the GA and the heartbreak of putting her through that and having to see her being taken away but because they want us at the hospital at 6.45am (its a 45 min drive for us to get there also) but its then a "cattle call" where we all wait in the waiting room and get called in by age order.... so she could have a long wait or a short wait depending on the ages of the other kids. Oh and did I mention she is nil by mouth from the night before - she is going to LOVE being stuck in a waiting room with no milk, water or breakfast. Hmm maybe I will be glad to see her taken away for the procedure after that!
My horse situation - I just can't adjust to only having one horse. I have never owned just one - they are a herd animal and I love having two keeping each other company. Sam seems OK with being alone - he is a bit stoic and aloof at the best of times. But it feels weird. AND Sam has developed a lameness at the trot. The dressage instructor I was riding with this past weekend is ever so hopeful that it is bridle lameness (caused by his inexperience - which his continuing training would rectify) but I am not so confident. So I have the equine vet booked in for Friday to come and assess him - she is packing the X ray machine, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it (sounds cheap right!? Got to love horses sigh). I am tipping an old racing injury that has probably re-emerged with the hard training he has been in since I started work on him. Competition work is too demanding for an unsound horse so alas this could be the end for him as my comp horse. WHich sends me back to the drawing board - namely shopping for a new horse (uurgh so stressful and daunting)
Why oh why did I agree to take on extra lecturing this semester. Its a horrible course (ie they want lots from me rather than just letting me turn up and talk) and the extra lectures are not even in my field of expertise. So I get to spend nights when I am normally getting extra work done for my job, juggling research for these new lectures. Forehead slap for me and my urge to always take on any career opportunity.
The fact that Jase and I just cannot get our work diaries to align so that we can take a few days off kids free to have a mini-holiday. My parents are ready to babysit, we just can;t find any days for the next few months that don't have one or the other of us commited. Sigh, romance is a tight squeeze in the life of two workaholic professionals it seems.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

0 comments:
Post a Comment