Monday, 8 August 2011
As a mum with a career (hehe I go to great lengths to use any term other than working mother - I mean what mother doesn't work day-in day-out regardless of whether she is at a paying job or not!), life is a bit of a squeeze. I try to fit in all that I can. And for my little ones, this might mean that work days have less play and more go-go but Jase and I still try to make sure there is time to colour and learn letters and laugh and sing in there.
I think a lot of busy mums juggling jobs have those little "things" that they prioritise, things that make them feel like they are still cherishing and nourishing their children despite probably working themselves to the bone in the meanwhile. That act that when everything is exhausting and stressful, makes you feel like you are still doing alright...
For me, it is important that my kids go to daycare with home cooked food. Not only that but food I have cooked with them, so their lunch is all wrapped up with nice memories. So Sunday afternoons Elka teeters on a foot stool next to me as we measure and stir and pour. She is a brilliant cook after literally years of helping me - she can measure out a full cup of flour, she can roll out balls of biscuit dough, she loves to brush egg on pastry and she did a great job of crumbing chicken tenderloins the other night.
This past weekend, we cooked fat fluffy pikelets, Bronte leant down out of my arms and carefully flipped the pikelets over with her egg-flip whilst Elka carefully moved the cooked ones out onto a plate. We grated zucchini and carrot and cracked our home-laid eggs to cook a zucchini slice for their lunchboxes. And that makes me smile when I tiredly divy up little containers of food at night, mentally counting up to make sure they each have enough food packed for the next day.
Elka's favourite recipe at the moment are these jam drops - this mix is quite shortbready, keeps really well and are delicious hot and sticky out of the oven. Plus rolling the mix and spooning in the teaspoons of jam is just great for little hands.
Do you have a thing? Something that you like to make sure gets done, that makes you feel like all your ducks are still in a row and that you are coping with it all?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

1 comments:
Yes, yes and yes! I'm lucky that our kids get fed at daycare - given I work full time I don't know whether I'd cope with having to pack lunches each day for little ones who change their mind or don't like eating unless everyone else is eating the same.
My thing is cooking dinner - its something I have to do each day, and regardless of how much I complain that I'm always the one cooking (especially when Damo and I used to share the cooking pre-kids), I always end up doing it.
Also, turning off the radio on the way home from daycare and talking to the kids the whole way home is fantastic too - that little bit of 'connection' time means they're happy and I'm relaxed by the time we do get home (even though daycare is only 5mins from home - makes a huge difference!).
And taking the time out to let them have a longer bath each night and have a play with them. Weekends are much more relaxed, but during the week its full on, so taking these little moments makes the week so much more bearable for all of us!
Happier kids = happy mummy = happy husband!
Oh and I think you need to share the recipe for those jam drops! I have two little helpers in the kitchen and while we make muffins and they help put the vegies in the pot at dinner time, having something that they can roll and play with would be so much fun!
Post a Comment