Friday, 25 November 2011

I always wanted a kitten but my Dad hated cats and always said no. So when I moved out of home at 17 for uni, my Mum took me to the RSPCA and bought me a cat for my early 18th birthday present. It made her happy to know that whilst she was leaving her little girl alone 1000kms from home, that I would have something to love and care for.

I walked the cages and looked at all the sweet tiny kittens but I got distracted by a 6 month old cat that climbed the wire to my eye height to get my attention and miaowed plaintively. I asked to hold him and he snuggled up to my chest and delicately picked up my crystal pendant in his mouth. He was soft grey and had strength in his eyes, I was hooked. So rather than choosing my own cat, I think I got chosen instead! I didnt leave with the intended tiny ball of fluff but rather a nearly full grown cat, such was his power. I called him Ferdinand after the gentle bull in the cartoons, since he was big but sweet, he became "Ferdie" immediately.

And while I spent long lonely afternoons and nights studying through my early years of uni, he purred from my lap or the side of my desk in my in-tray. He snuggled with me through the freezing cold Canberra nights and later he glared evilly at Jase, unimpressed with having to share me.

He made my life difficult at times - he wee'ed on my poor housemate in her bed on one of her first nights in the house and numerous times afterwards (sorry Dana!) Before they made their peace and became firm snuggle buds on the lounge watching day time tv whilst hardworking Science students were slogging away in the laboratory (aah to be a Law student with like 16 contact hours a week). He made enemies with my Dad including using a timber edge to one of their doorways as a scratching post to the point it was just splinters whilst they were babysitting him for me whilst I was overseas. He has also always been a vomiter - I have long lost count of the number of vomits I have cleaned or stepped in, in the middle of the night.

He made the transition from an indoor-outdoor cat to a strictly indoor cat when we moved to Qld and did it with good grace. I am happy that all our lovely native animals are safe and he is happy to not have to stray far from his food bowl and warm spot on any bed/lounge/carpet that he chooses.

He is still narky and full of spirit and though after 11 years has accepted Jase into the fold, is still a one owner cat. I am the only one that can hold him down or trim his claws without fireworks. He still snuggles on my side of the bed and jumps up for cuddles on my lap every evening.

He is about to turn 13 and still has his gorgeous silky grey coat and still gallops through the house darting at shadows, but he is showing his age and has lost a lot  of weight and is drinking a lot of water. My heart aches at this indication of his mortality.

So I took him to the vet today for an array of blood tests to get to the bottom of potential thyroid issues or kidney problems. Of course the child in me is convinced I can "fix" him and that he will celebrate his 21st birthday like my bosses cat did.

Sometimes all you have is positive thought really. But I just don't know what life will be like without him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a great cat :-)

So sorry to hear he is unwell. Animals getting sick is such a horrible thing. Hopefully the vet has some positive news xx

Anonymous said...

I hope you get some answers soon Amy and that it's easily treated x

Amy said...

Thanks guys! xo

Dana said...

You forgot to mention the time he said your name! Or the fact that the particular pattern of the carpet in the kitchen was a perfect foil for cat spew (and clinkers? For the record I am pretty sure he only pee'd on the bed because mum closed the kitchen door that morning (well at least one time anyways). And the in and out of your bedroom window despite the freezing impracticalitites of this for you ;)

Ahh the Ferdie meow, no one messes with the Ferdie meow! I am impressed that you a)managed to collect his wee and b) managed to find time to take it to the vet!

I look forward to Ferdie induced sneezes in the future, he might not think we're friends but I remember we are ;)

Amy said...

aah so many memories Danes :)

The clinkers made me laugh all afternoon. That carpet was something special!

Rat Baker said...

Oh hello Ferdie! You glorious thing. You really do look like my Otto...and you have very similar traits too- the vomiting, the weeing on enemies, the way you jealously guard your Mum- even the way you chose her at the shelter all those years ago when she was at uni. Please take it easy grey man. You are in your retirement years and your Mum can't face the thought of life without you so it's time to take it slow and enjoy every bite of your kibble. Everyone still knows you are the boss :) You are an angel wrapped in grey fluff and I wish for you many more solid years ahead buddy xxx

Mel said...

We went through similar with our family cat when he was about 13 too Amy, and he lived to 19 before we had to put him down because he'd deteriorated so much. He too had thyroid problems, but after a small operation at age 14 to remove one of them, he did recover and went on for another 5 years. We got him when I was 12 and I have photos of Liam with him - its very special to have a pet as such a close part of the family. I hope he gets better. xxx

britt@absolutealaia said...

It's so hard to watch them age. My Kobe is 12 & a half now but still thinks he's a kitten. You have such a beautiful boy xxx

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I