Sunday, 13 November 2011
So since the house extension finished, our front driveway has looked a little sad - it was a major worksite for 5 months and had tonnes of crushed gravel etc dumped on it. The horse fences had all been pulled down to let the big machinery have access to the house and we had just put up temporary wire and star pickets, not a great look. Not to mention that we added new cut and fill to the edge of the house pad, which needed finishing off.

Jase and I walked the site for months, planning (and arguing as we always do about landscaping!) until we had decided on where to position the new post and rail fencing, where to put the fill, where to put new retaining walls, positions of new gardens and what we wanted out of resurfacing and changing the angles on the existing drive around driveway. We finally took the leap a month or so ago, as we wanted it all sorted before the Spring-Summer storms played havoc with mud and drainage.

A nearby neighbour, who is a dab hand on his earthmovers did the resurfacing and addition of fill to the edge of our house pad so we could finally access both bays of our new carport (yay!!). We had to change the colour of our decon-granite driveway as the old quarry had shut down but we are happy with the new colour thankfully.

And Jase has been working hard every weekend after his crazy long weeks of work and work trips (such a good sport) to construct lovely post and rail fences and new retaining wall/planter boxes to terrace the new fill drop off. Next on the list are a set of steps, a new garden and yet more retaining walls. If I am lucky, I get a horse wash bay built too - lovely!

It's looking good but there is so much more to do (not to mention the new entry fences Jase has also built for the top of our property that still need painting) - its always a work in progress really isn't it!


Here are some great Before and Afters - can't wait till the planter boxes are all filled with soil and planted in and the new garden is started!


Looking out from the front path Before



After




The carport and drop off from house pad Before 




After



Shot of the retaining wall/planter boxes - this top layer is just the first of three that drop down the hill as terraces. This top layer will have Golden Canes planted in it, as has already been done along the car port

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Looks great Amy, I bet you and your horses will enjoy the horse wash bay. Maybe you can use it for the kids, too, if the get really muddy?

Mel said...

Wow Amy - that looks great! I have to say, I love the new colour for the drive - same colours we're going to do our drive around driveway, so I might be a little biased! Awesome job with the planter boxes as well - can't wait to see the end result - is the plan still for a swimming pool?!

LOL @ Lydia's suggestion for using the horse cleaning bay (when you get one) for the kids - they would have a ball!!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I