Friday, 9 March 2012
Just an update on life in my world.

My injured finger has finally been freed from nearly 3 months in a brace. It is still sore and hard to bend but apparently this will improve with time. Such an amazing amount of pain and rehabilitation for such a small aea of injury! I am impatiently waiting to see if the swelling will go down in the middle joint (supposedly a result of being splinted and immobilised for so long) as I cannot fit any of my beautiful rings on it :( including my eternity ring. I am missing not being able to wear them and am worried the joint may never reduce in size so they fit. Still I have use of the finger and can still horseride which was my biggest fear when I realised how severe my injury really was.
I have nearly finished with hospital appointments and have high hopes that I might not be subjected to any more x-rays for a long long time.
Extra incentive to keep my bum firmly in the saddle when showjumping from now on!

Otherwise, I have just returned from a work trip to Sydney. I don't travel as much as my dear husband but I do enough work trips that the shine has most definitely worn off them. Nothing glamorous about airports, taxis, delays and getting home at nearly midnight.
But the trip did really reinforce just how much I have achieved in the last year of being back at work and in charge of my laboratory. I now have a four member team plus research students, where once it was just me and I have not only expanded our capabilities and brought in a lot of grant funding but also built us a strong name as a research laboratory. I am tired thinking of all that still need to achieve but then I remind myself how far we have come. I love my job and I am damn proud that I can be a good mummy with happy healthy confident kids and have a great career. Sure I sacrifice sleep and I don't know what it is like to sit on my own lounge and watch tv but its all so worth it.

My biggest tip for mums with careers? Don't buy into mother guilt. So many mums talk about it - they perpetuate it. Don't let it exist. Live your life to your own priorities, don't apologise for them. Remind yourself that your kids are hugged, kissed, free of pain and abuse, clothed, spoiled, played with and know exactly where you are when you aren't with them and that you are coming back to pick them up.As long as you live your life true to what it important to you and what makes you happy then all is perfect.

And for god sakes, don't put your life priorities onto another mother. I NEVER judge - we are all different. Life would be so boring if we were all working mothers or all stay at home mums. I love the variety - it takes all types.

ahem rant over.

And because this is my post - I will leave you with a pic of my new Nine West shoes. I just bought a lovely burnt orange and black patterned dress that will be perfect with these. LOVE autumn dressing (and yes there is even a chill in the air in qld! Although its still like 30 degrees in the middle of the day so I am sure a few people are laughing at me right now!)


1 comments:

melissa said...

Brilliant post Amy! You should be proud of all you have achieved. Glad your finger is getting better - the swelling can take a few months to settle down.

I love your thoughts on mother guilt, though I think it's harder when working or not working is less of a choice. If you do choose to work - I do - then own it. If you don't, that's fine, own that decision too. And if it's not working, don't be afraid to change it!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I