Monday, 19 March 2012
Really sometimes you have to laugh rather than cry. I have had a rotten day. Reading an article that a fellow lovely working mother happened to share on facebook today really hit the spot and I have laughed (and eaten chocolate!)
The following article is from www.momswhoneedwine.com - find it here.
Though I think today my thoughts were even more hectic than this! A sample of my chaos today was having to work out at 6am how to stop my incontinent old cat going through liver failure from weeing on Bronte's bed constantly, arriving at work feeling relaxed and then after struggling through way too many emails remembering I had a stupid number of big deadlines at work and should be feeling anything but relaxed, feeling rather put out about being gently ticked off for a frustrated email I sent, wondering why I stayed up until nearly midnight on Thursday night writing a work document when I then forgot to email it to work so I didn't have it for Monday anyway, discovering a document I had produced in response to an urgent request on my day off had been distributed with a major typo because I had been trying to convince a teething toddler to sleep whilst typing on my laptop trying to get it sent, trying to work out if my horses swollen lymph node is connected to his lameness in his hoof and if that is all from an abscess he had a couple of weeks ago and feeling bad that I only can check him at 5.30am or 6pm in the dark either way, reminding myself to book the horse float in for a roadworthy test and then worrying what will happen if it doesn't pass, trying to find a dentist that is actually open on a Friday after school to take Elka and organising how to get to Elka's school cross country, still drop Bronte off and then to the other side of the city to give a work presentation, pick up Jase's car and get back to work in enough time to reach all my deadlines. Oh and then finding out that the raincoat I finally found for Elka for school, after specifically checking with the uniform shop to determine that she could have any style, is apparently the wrong colour and I have to return to walking the shops to find blue or yellow, not the purple I bought. UUUURRGH.
If I hadn't drunk wine for the last three nights in a row, tonight would be a good candidate for pouring a glass or three.
Cheers to anyone who has had one of those types of Mondays!
The following article is from www.momswhoneedwine.com - find it here.
Let Me Tell You About the Life of a Working Mother
Submitted by Liz (www.helloladies.com)
So this morning I was running late for work because I had a hard time picking out an outfit because last Saturday I forgot to go to the dry cleaner because I was really busy shuffling my kids from soccer practice to a town-wide event to a party we were all invited to and so I had no clean work pants and I couldn’t wear knee-length skirts because I hadn’t shaved my legs but I had to dress professionally because my boss and I were going to an industry event later in the day to network with potential clients.
So, I decided to wear a long, flowy black skirt and after trying many different tops finally paired it with a black cardigan that looked professional and put on a pair of low black heels that wouldn’t hurt walking around a tradeshow floor and I threw on some appropriate accessories and I was ready to go but I stopped to use the bathroom because I have a long commute and I had downed three cups of coffee and …the back of my skirt fell in the toilet!
So, I had a meltdown and started ranting and my husband said, “How is this my fault?” to which I responded, “It’s not your fault. Why can’t I get upset without you thinking you need to fix it?” at which point my nine year old son came up to me, hugged me and said, “I love you mom,” which, while really sweet, made me realize he was trying to calm down psycho-mommy and someday he’d’ be in therapy because of me.
Then I went upstairs and I found a long skirt which really needed ironing but I decided not to iron because it was just going to be wrinkled again by the time I got to work and it required a new top and new shoes because it was brown not black and I didn’t really have a top that matched except the sweater I had worn to the party Saturday which I couldn’t find because my house is always a mess.
And so I ran around trying to find a top and praying to St. Anthony to find my sweater and then I noticed a shirt I bought at the Gap and had planned to return because I didn’t really love it but it was desperate times so I put it on but it still required a cardigan so that didn’t really help because St. Anthony wasn’t listening so I grabbed another shirt out of my closet as I realized I still had to keep the new shirt because I had removed the tags and tossed it on the floor and it would be wrinkled by the time I got home.
I glanced in the mirror and saw I was not even close to the look-at-me-I’m-large-and-in-charge-trust-me-with-your-communications-strategy image I wanted to project at the event but I had no choice but to wear the outfit so I decided to channel Iris Apfel and added a multi-strand turquoise necklace and leopard shoes and hoped I could project a look-at-me-I’m-hip-and-creative-trust-me-with-your-social-media-strategy image even though I knew I couldn’t because I’m a middle-aged suburban mother.
And then I realized I needed to change bags because now the big, printed bag I had planned to carry was too casual whereas before it had served as a pop of color for an all-black outfit and transferring my wallet, lunch and sunglasses from the printed bag to a new bag was risky business because it had to be done on the go because I was so late but I couldn’t really risk any erratic or distracted driving because my inspection sticker had expired and I was supposed to go the RMV at lunch but how could I leave work for a few hours when I was going to arrive so late?
Then I realized the car was on empty because I hadn’t stopped for gas the night before because I wanted to get home before it got too dark to go for a run because running helps my stress levels and I hadn’t run the night before that because I was at an environmental committee meeting because I need to save the world and I was having a hard time waking up in the mornings to run because my daughter had been throwing temper tantrums at night and I had been giving in and lying down with her even though I knew I was reinforcing bad behavior and I think seven is too old for the Ferber method.
And then after I filled the tank I tuned into the traffic report and heard there was an accident and not one, but two lanes, were blocked on the highway. And as I sat in the traffic jam I started thinking about how I wasn’t going to get to work until practically tomorrow which was really a problem because I was behind on some projects which meant I would either to have work late and skip another run or get caught up on work on the weekend therefore not having any time to go to the drycleaner and then I remembered the iPhone app that reads email aloud that I had meant to download one day while imagining I could be that kind of supermom who multitasks and has all the right apps, which according to a new study makes me prone to depression (the wanting to be a supermom, not the apps) but never did get around to downloading which was really too bad because at that point I was already 45 minutes late for work and not yet at the halfway mark and I was only driving 25 miles an hour even though I had already passed the accident.
And that is the life of a working mother
So this morning I was running late for work because I had a hard time picking out an outfit because last Saturday I forgot to go to the dry cleaner because I was really busy shuffling my kids from soccer practice to a town-wide event to a party we were all invited to and so I had no clean work pants and I couldn’t wear knee-length skirts because I hadn’t shaved my legs but I had to dress professionally because my boss and I were going to an industry event later in the day to network with potential clients.
So, I decided to wear a long, flowy black skirt and after trying many different tops finally paired it with a black cardigan that looked professional and put on a pair of low black heels that wouldn’t hurt walking around a tradeshow floor and I threw on some appropriate accessories and I was ready to go but I stopped to use the bathroom because I have a long commute and I had downed three cups of coffee and …the back of my skirt fell in the toilet!
So, I had a meltdown and started ranting and my husband said, “How is this my fault?” to which I responded, “It’s not your fault. Why can’t I get upset without you thinking you need to fix it?” at which point my nine year old son came up to me, hugged me and said, “I love you mom,” which, while really sweet, made me realize he was trying to calm down psycho-mommy and someday he’d’ be in therapy because of me.
Then I went upstairs and I found a long skirt which really needed ironing but I decided not to iron because it was just going to be wrinkled again by the time I got to work and it required a new top and new shoes because it was brown not black and I didn’t really have a top that matched except the sweater I had worn to the party Saturday which I couldn’t find because my house is always a mess.
And so I ran around trying to find a top and praying to St. Anthony to find my sweater and then I noticed a shirt I bought at the Gap and had planned to return because I didn’t really love it but it was desperate times so I put it on but it still required a cardigan so that didn’t really help because St. Anthony wasn’t listening so I grabbed another shirt out of my closet as I realized I still had to keep the new shirt because I had removed the tags and tossed it on the floor and it would be wrinkled by the time I got home.
I glanced in the mirror and saw I was not even close to the look-at-me-I’m-large-and-in-charge-trust-me-with-your-communications-strategy image I wanted to project at the event but I had no choice but to wear the outfit so I decided to channel Iris Apfel and added a multi-strand turquoise necklace and leopard shoes and hoped I could project a look-at-me-I’m-hip-and-creative-trust-me-with-your-social-media-strategy image even though I knew I couldn’t because I’m a middle-aged suburban mother.
And then I realized I needed to change bags because now the big, printed bag I had planned to carry was too casual whereas before it had served as a pop of color for an all-black outfit and transferring my wallet, lunch and sunglasses from the printed bag to a new bag was risky business because it had to be done on the go because I was so late but I couldn’t really risk any erratic or distracted driving because my inspection sticker had expired and I was supposed to go the RMV at lunch but how could I leave work for a few hours when I was going to arrive so late?
Then I realized the car was on empty because I hadn’t stopped for gas the night before because I wanted to get home before it got too dark to go for a run because running helps my stress levels and I hadn’t run the night before that because I was at an environmental committee meeting because I need to save the world and I was having a hard time waking up in the mornings to run because my daughter had been throwing temper tantrums at night and I had been giving in and lying down with her even though I knew I was reinforcing bad behavior and I think seven is too old for the Ferber method.
And then after I filled the tank I tuned into the traffic report and heard there was an accident and not one, but two lanes, were blocked on the highway. And as I sat in the traffic jam I started thinking about how I wasn’t going to get to work until practically tomorrow which was really a problem because I was behind on some projects which meant I would either to have work late and skip another run or get caught up on work on the weekend therefore not having any time to go to the drycleaner and then I remembered the iPhone app that reads email aloud that I had meant to download one day while imagining I could be that kind of supermom who multitasks and has all the right apps, which according to a new study makes me prone to depression (the wanting to be a supermom, not the apps) but never did get around to downloading which was really too bad because at that point I was already 45 minutes late for work and not yet at the halfway mark and I was only driving 25 miles an hour even though I had already passed the accident.
And that is the life of a working mother
Though I think today my thoughts were even more hectic than this! A sample of my chaos today was having to work out at 6am how to stop my incontinent old cat going through liver failure from weeing on Bronte's bed constantly, arriving at work feeling relaxed and then after struggling through way too many emails remembering I had a stupid number of big deadlines at work and should be feeling anything but relaxed, feeling rather put out about being gently ticked off for a frustrated email I sent, wondering why I stayed up until nearly midnight on Thursday night writing a work document when I then forgot to email it to work so I didn't have it for Monday anyway, discovering a document I had produced in response to an urgent request on my day off had been distributed with a major typo because I had been trying to convince a teething toddler to sleep whilst typing on my laptop trying to get it sent, trying to work out if my horses swollen lymph node is connected to his lameness in his hoof and if that is all from an abscess he had a couple of weeks ago and feeling bad that I only can check him at 5.30am or 6pm in the dark either way, reminding myself to book the horse float in for a roadworthy test and then worrying what will happen if it doesn't pass, trying to find a dentist that is actually open on a Friday after school to take Elka and organising how to get to Elka's school cross country, still drop Bronte off and then to the other side of the city to give a work presentation, pick up Jase's car and get back to work in enough time to reach all my deadlines. Oh and then finding out that the raincoat I finally found for Elka for school, after specifically checking with the uniform shop to determine that she could have any style, is apparently the wrong colour and I have to return to walking the shops to find blue or yellow, not the purple I bought. UUUURRGH.
If I hadn't drunk wine for the last three nights in a row, tonight would be a good candidate for pouring a glass or three.
Cheers to anyone who has had one of those types of Mondays!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2 comments:
If I can help remove one of the things racing through your head, something to try with your cat...
Perhaps try using Feliway in Bronte's bedroom (if it's the only room that is being wee'd in)
Clean the bedding with Biozet (or get Urine Free or something similar from the vets) Use Feliway spray around the bed, and plug a Feliway diffuser into Bronte's room, or in the hallway outside her room.
It could be a combination of a few things; given her age, it could stress - some cats don't cope too well with the changes associated with aging. Feliway is a pheromone that communicates to cats that they should be happy and not stressed or upset.
It could also be arthritis, she gets up onto the bed but can't jump down to go to the litter tray, so provide her a chair or a set of "cat stairs" to help her get down from the bed.
You can get arthritis supplements for cats, like joint guard and so on.
Or it could be that the litter tray is too far to walk to, general rule, one litter tray per cat + 1 extra.
Hope this helps, as a vet nurse, I've been through it all!
Thank you!! I really appreciate all that advice :)
Any hints are most graciously accepted xo
Post a Comment