Thursday, 17 March 2011
Well two ducks actually ;)

We have always had two pet ducks - these two lovely boys below. But the front duck - Albert has been getting old, he had gone blind and despite having a lot of attitude was very reliant on Raph (the white duck) leading him around.


Much to our sadness but not our surprise we woke a few weeks ago and discovered that he was gone. We are hopeful that he fell asleep on the side of the dam and just didnt wake up. There is no body to find as we have some very vigiliant foxes in the area (that avoid traps unfortunately) and we are assuming that they were responsible for clearing away the body. We are pretty sure that the foxes would not have caught him alive as they are very careful ducks and stay in the middle of the dam during the dark hours so that predators can't reach them.

But that left one very lonely duck. He made friends with the numerous wild wood ducks we have in the area but it wasn't quite the same.

So we grabbed the girls and went to our local produce store to buy these two pretty ducks. Snowy and Daffy.


They are nervous and nerotic but importantly Raph loves them and has two new buddies. We can sit back on our deck and watch them dabbling happily in their dam.

The only downside? They are LOUD. Their quacks carry around the farm and are hard to ignore in the early morning as our bedroom overlooks their dam.

Oh well, as long as Raph is happy!

1 comments:

Mel said...

They are gorgeous Amy - I'm so glad Ralph has some new playmates. LOL at them being so noisy though. I'm sure they're just communicating their appreciation of their new surroundings and family. :)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I