Sunday, 22 May 2011
Uurrgh does anyone else feel like they are tag team parenting? I would love some couple friends that are both working professionals to relate to, instead most of my friends are either not that fussed about career building or at home with the kids. Furthermore most of them have family living close by, whereas our closest family is two hours away. So sometime I feel like we face different challenges as a family to oters around us...

Our main week-to-week dilemma is the large amount of out of standard work hours work commitments we both have. Between work dinners, cocktail parties, work trips interstate, lecturing, late nights in the lab and videoconferences a lot of evenings are taken up. So we find ourselves literally doing that stereotypical diary matching where we stand and barter off dates where one or the other has to mind the kids while the other one is away. Often, this turns into scenarios where one of us flies in from interstate in time for the other to pack their suitcase and fly out. Hence, why we have called it tag team parenting. We are currently debating dates in September, that is how quickly things fill up. Life feels a little crazy some days.

Not to mention when the tag teaming rolls over into the weekend so that we can get all the farm work done too. If I hadn't had a cuddle with jase on the lounge last night to watch a rare DVD together, I would have felt like I hadnt seen my husband at all this weekend.

Life is only going to get crazier in the next few weeks unfortunately as we double the numbers of animals on our farm by taking in my parents horses, cats and potentially chickens while they are overseas for two months. Needless to say, I am eagerly looking forward to a lovely family holiday we have booked for ourselves for September - no tag teaming as we will all be there together :)

3 comments:

Mel said...

You put me to shame Amy! I sometimes feel like we tag team, but nothing to your extend! We have worked out 'shifts' at work so that I can be up and gone to start work by 8am and therefore leave at 4.30pm, whereas Damo starts at 9.30am and therefore leaves work at 6pm. It means that the kids aren't rushed as much in the morning and are in daycare for minimal time so we have more quality time with them during the week. Weekends we usually always get to spend as a family and I've had to be careful to make sure that our weekends aren't full of appointments that have us rushing around everywhere so we can have some quality time. I don't know if I could do what you manage to do - I would be too exhausted! But like you, I love my career, and until we came up with the 'shift' arrangement, I used to feel that I didn't have enough 'work' time to get what I needed done. Balance is the essential item in all of this - so long as you have it and are happy with your balance, thats all that matters. :)

Amy said...

Thanks Mel - I appreciate your insights and experiences :)
I should totally send you an email next time I am feeling overwhelmed :)

Alas we can't do the shift arrangement - I try to start work between 7.45-8am and try to finish at 4.30pm if I can.. whereas Jase has to work looooong hours! But I love our evenings together, especially all of us reading books together and playing on the rug :) so as you say as long as you are happy with your balance :)

xo

Mel said...

Thats it! And I'm always open for emails and/or phone/text if you need/want. :)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I