Tuesday, 13 September 2011
My big little one, Miss Elka is growing up. She has her school orientation day on Thursday and we can't quite believe we will be there discussing uniforms and school bags.Just to confuse you - it is the Qld system which is "pre-prep" or "kindergarten" according to the new national curriculm and we took the step of enrolling her as the youngest in her year as she is born on the cut off month.  Since she can already write and read the alphabet and basic words and is a confident bright little thing that daycare already puts in pre-prep a few times a week, we are comfortable with this decision. She will probably be less impressed when she is the last in her year to be able to drive,get into nightclubs and so on. But Jase and I were young in our years and survived (admittedly for me with a fake ID!)

She is so excited about "big school". I am less so - her private school is about 15 mins from our place but in the opposite direction to my work and Bronte's daycare. Its going to make my morning and afternoon commutes even sillier, sigh. But I am not really complaining as making sure she is there and safe is of course so important and I feel blessed that I can drive her to our choice of school.

Most of the time she adores being at daycare 4 days a week and asks to go more days sometimes.  I do as much as I can to give lots of love and attention in the mornings and evenings, and I love picking them up and being hugged and kissed and dragged around to look at the new art/baby chickens/new friends.

But tonight, I was whispering "secrets" in her ear to distract her into the bath, like "Bronte's nappy smells" and "I love you", well she pushed the hair back from my ear and leant in and whispered "I wish I could have a day off with you" with the most vulnerable little look on her face.

Ouch. I mean she does currently - we have our lovely Fridays together every week. But with school looming as 5 days a week next year, it did pang a little in my heart.

Growing up is hard. And its only just beginning for her.... and me

5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, school already! As a parent of two little, little ones, school seems like the glory days- I can hardly wait. I know I'll struggle though, all those decisions to be made!

Mel said...

Its so hard Amy! I had Liam asking to stay at home with me today instead of going to daycare, but I still had to pack my bag and walk out the door leaving him with Daddy to take him off to daycare. We too try to give them as much 1:1 time as we can - I take them shopping individually so I can have that time with them, and while Ashleigh is having her day sleep we spend that time playing with Liam and doing things that Ashleigh is just a bit too little to do yet. Doesn't make it any easier or reduce the mother guilt.

Can't believe Elka is off to pre-prep already, but then she is just so advance it would be a crime to hold her back. I was the eldest in my grade and could have started the year earlier, and in hindsight, my parents now say that they should have done so. Liam is no-where near being ready for that though - there's only 1 day between him and Elka and she is light years ahead of him (but always has been).

I'm sure she'll thrive, and I guess you can't be mad at her if she does end up with a fake ID at some point. ;)

Sarah said...

I went on a school tour the other day (Harry will start in NSW at 4 1/2 one of the younger in the class). The principal said she is seeing a trend away from holding them back and thinks it can actually be detrimental to keep them back till they are coming up to 6.... and she often then moves those kids up anyway! A whole new world!!

Mammamusing said...

Wow! Elka is growing up!

Gosh I can't even think of school although I'm terribly slack and really do need to think about Kindergarten or at least investigate what I need to do in that regard.

Simone said...

I am going through the same problem as you Amy. But I am leaning towards starting Oliver at school next year. It is really doing my head in but like Elka, I am thinking he is ready. And like Sarah, I have been told that there are too many 'old school' principals out there who like to hold back when it doesn't always help

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I