Monday, 5 September 2011






We normally have a few getaways to our family beach house and get a few nice long weekends in but in the last few months life has been hectic and we haven't been able to find the time to justify a weekend away. Sad but true.

So we were in desperate need of a break. Fortunately we had snappled some cheap flights to Sydney earlier in the year and booked a nice central hotel with lovely buffet breakfast every morning. Nothing super fancy but definitely a refreshing getaway! It was so nice to be at the airport with my loved ones, rather than the usual flying away from them on a work trip, that we both tend to do.

It was the girls first time flying and they both had a ball. They were great little travellers albeit quiet and wide eyed looking a little country mouse about planes and trains!

Of course Elka loved the hotel pool most (remember how exciting a hotel with a pool was when you were little?) so we had to swim every day. But we also found time for yum cha in Chinatown, the aquarium, the zoo (complete with ferry ride or "fairy" ride if you ask Elka), the Powerhouse museum, the David Jones marketplace (yum!), shoe shopping for me, sparkling wine with a harbourside lunch, catch ups with friends and family and gorgeous dinners at Darling Harbour. We managed to keep the kids out late one night having dinner with some old friends and they got to see their first live fireworks - a little scary and both wanted their ears covered but overall a winner!

Jase and I even managed to watch a movie at night and score some "sleep-ins" (parent style ones not real ones).

And isn't it nice to come home and appreciate it - for me the space and lack of crowds and bustle is a blessed relief. I am home looking after a sick Elka today and I am soaking up the endless green grass and trees and unobstructed blue sky.

Refreshed indeed. But already keen to plan another holiday!



My great little flyer - not one whinge


Bronte spent the whole holiday beaming and enchanting waitstaff - a very happy chappy at 15 months old!


Too much sightseeing! These $27 strollers from Kmart were fantastic for travelling (no complaining about Bronte kicking Elka in the back like she does in their double decker pram!) and folded away in an instant for restaurants etc

2 comments:

CAM said...

Glad you had such a great time :) I LOVE the stroller pic at the end, too cute!! We foolishly went off to QLD in June without a pram / stroller as Miss Almost Three Year Old prefers to walk when at home (or ride in the P & T - which we definitely we not taking with us). Day Three of the trip had me storming to Target to buy a $25 stroller, never travelling without one again, between that and the Ergo both kids were set and it's so much easier than taking a bulky pram along. We didn't get any sound asleep action in the stroller though ;)

Lydia said...

Love the photo of little Elka in her plane seat. What a great getaway.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I