Tuesday, 27 September 2011
Not a lot of blogging going obviously but a whole lot of living going on instead!

Jase and I had a great time with our kid free weekend - we spoiled ourselves with a very grown up expensive three course lunch in a favourite mountain restaurant with views to the Gold Coast ocean (So not kid friendly and it took over 2 hours to eat and drink and chat, bliss), we slept, we shopped, we watched DVDs and ate bowls of home made chocolate mousse. And we finished with a day at Dreamworld where we got to take advantage of our annual passes to actually go on scary rides and completely avoid Wiggles World! It was fun to feel young again - to giggle together and run bare foot between water slides.

And of course picking up the girls and marvelling at how much they have changed in three days (they really do!) was the perfect ending. Jase spent a week of "holidays" demolishing our entry gates into our property and rebuilding it with a lovely post and rail fence. For an executive, he is becoming a dab hand at power tools and construction.

We had our drive around driveway and new carport area landscaped and resurfaced (pics to come) and Jase has spent whatever time he can grab, starting to put up the new post and rail fences around the new house extension which act as our fences between the house yards and the paddocks. Its all coming together - but slowly as we now have massive amount of edging to lay around our driveway areas, new garden beds to plant, a huge amount of retaining walls/planter boxes to buld into the hill and fences to finish, dog wire and some to paint. I am tired just writing it...

I am also in the market for new horse - Sam has had to be retired due to soreness in his foot bones. And shopping for a suitable competition horse is hard, stressful work and we are taking big money so you want to get it right! It takes up the whole weekend, travelling hours to view and trial horses and its an emtional rollercoaster dealing with all the different owners. You get a lot more emotionally invested than say buying a car. I feel a bit sick about the amount of money I am looking at spending too but I need a quality horse. Needless to say, I might be getting not much for Christmas this year! Though I have worked my butt off working that second job lecturing this semester which has at least contributed some extra money into the pot..

Work is severely understaffed at the moment (damn school holidays) and my Masters students are nearing the stressful finishing point. Add to this the fact that just about every bit of research I am doing at the moment is now required to be approved through a human ethics committee and I am feeling a bit frazzled... But busy is how I like to be! (thankfully!)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Poor Jase - I wonder if he knew what was in for him when he met you in Canberra.

It sounds like you had a great time during your staycation.

Such sad news about Sam, hope you find your dream horse soon.

Mel said...

Wow you have a lot going on!

Can't wait to see photos of it all coming together though - we're going to be putting in a drive around 'driveway' in our front yard next to the new garage (already has a centre garden and grass in a donut shape, so we just need to replace the retaining wall, remove the grass and put down some crushed brick or similar). Will be awesome to see yours all done - might get some tips for when we do ours next year!!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I