Friday, 9 September 2011

Our two male ducks we were sold to keep our old pet duck company turned out to be a breeding pair. Oops! So Snowy is now sitting on a nest of eleven eggs in our geranium planter box in our laundry courtyard. I am pleased that she has the instinct to pick something so close to the house and reasonably sheltered as she will be safer from the foxes and spring storms. But at the same time I am a little overwhelmed by the thought of that many new ducks and the amplification over the next few years directly caused by introducing new male and female ducks into the mix. So as reluctant as jase and I are to do it, we will selectively clear her eggs tomorrow morning, leaving her with four. If they all hatch and survive, then three to go to my parents farm and one for us.
You have a lot more tough decisions to make when you live on property and sometimes you wish there was someone to do the hard stuff for you. But then you suck it up and do it. And you only get stronger and more grounded for it. Dealing with venomous snakes, dispatching rat bodies, organizing for your horses body to be buried by an excavator (no cardboard box under the flower garden for a half tonne horse I am afraid), tracing feathers and drag marks to work out where your pet chicken has been taken to it's death by a fox. You are a little closer to death on a farm then the suburbs most days. But it's just that reminder to live life a little harder and little fuller and with more love very day. And my girls are growing up learning that from the get go.
And I wouldn't have it any other way. Spring time fluffy ducklings hatching in their back garden are just one of the many bonuses!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

1 comments:
oooh can't wait to hear the pitter patter of little webbed feet :-D
Post a Comment