Tuesday, 9 June 2009
So I had a Hunter Trial on the weekend, which is a competition made up of a showjumping and a cross country course. Its fun, its scary and its the biggest adrenaline rush ever. Its a predominately female heavy sport at the lower levels but incredibly physical. There are ambulances on course. Horses come racing back in riderless from the cross country course. I saw a rider come stumbling back in on foot with blood pouring from her face. In 2008 there were 12 deaths from cross country accidents.

For those that dont know much about it and I generally always get blank faces from people asking what I rode in - here is a description from good old Wikipedia:
The cross-country course is approximately two and three quarter to four miles (6 km) long, comprising some twenty-four to thirty-six fixed and solid obstacles. Obstacles usually are built to look "natural" (out of logs, for instance), however odd materials and decorations may be added to test the horse's bravery. Obstacles can include all those that might be found if riding across the countryside, including water, trees, logs, ditches, and banks.


Eventing which incorporates Showjumping, Cross Country and Dressage (which just happen to be my three favourite disciplines to compete in) is an Olympic sport. And the only Olympic sport in which men and women compete against each other.

So anyway, despite terribly wet slippery conditions, Spech and I made it around both the Showjumping and Cross Country courses without incidence (but without placing either, not that I mind - I am still in the beginner phase with him). Its the biggest buzz but does take a hell of a lot of strength. As a result - despite being "match fit" from quite a few months of regular training, I can barely move my arms and thighs from all the muscl strain. (Hence why I am blogging cause I am stranded on the lounge reluctant to get up!)

Its addictive like most adrenaline rush sports are. I can't wait to do it again! And am already looking forward to my next competition in a months time...
(photos from Wikipedia)

4 comments:

Lydia said...

That looks terrifying. You are so brave. Glad that you and Spech made it through safe and sound.

PS. Britney is performing in Brisbane on 24 November.

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks scary! Glad you made it through without a problem!

Gabrielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabrielle said...

Crazy stuff! Sounds full-on Amy!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I