Thursday, 25 June 2009
I finally have time to blog about Elka's Birthday Party that was on last Saturday. I am keen to record it all as I am sure it will all slip from my memory in a few years!
I was super busy with all the cooking and preparations on the days leading up to it. I was also battling a terrible cold and chest infection so it wasn't the easiest thing I have done. My parents weree supposed to come up on the Friday to mind Elka so that I could get lots of cleaning and setting up done.. well they didn't end up arriving until just before my In-Laws that evening, so rather than help, I just got a house full of guests to care for. Hmm thanks!
But that said, both sets of Grandparents were champions on the Saturday morning helping out with picking up the hire chairs, extra groceries, blowing up balloons etc and of course showering the Birthday Girl with lots of love.
There were two tables of food - one decked out in a purple tablecloth and one in green to match the green and purple polka-dot balloons. The menu included chocolate slice with white chocolate dots on top, vanilla cupcakes with choc-chip sprinkles, chocolate cupcakes with jaffa chocolate icing, a fruit platter, two cob loaf dips, smarties, fairy bread, cheerio frankfurts and sauce and puff pastry and mushroom palmiers fresh out of the oven. The kids also had a kiddie sized table with a cut fruit platter to munch on. There was beer, sparkling wine, sparkling apple juice and soft drink.
And of course the cake - it was a thick vanilla buttercake (great recipe!) cooked in the shape of the number one, iced in vienna cream icing and decorated with smarties. I was really pleased with how it turned out.
Unfortunately, there were showers of rain all day, so we had to set the party up on the back verandah, rather than the yard which catches the lovely afternoon winter sun. There was a play area for the kids with lots of toys and of course the horses, ducks and chickens get the little ones (and some of the big ones too!) entertained.
All of my antenatal class friends came, some mummies from my local Mummies group, my brother, both our parents and some old school friends with their lovely little ones. It was only a relatively small group - about 20 but perfect for the back verandah and it was all Elka's little friends that she loves to play with.
Elka loved the attention although she was pretty tired from all the excitement already. She discovered that she loved smarties and managed to con lots of people into letting her have some. She also destroyed a cupcake pretty quickly! She got lovely gifts including a beautiful wooden xylophone, an Etch-a-Sketch, beautiful clothes, her name as a wooden puzzle and lots of great books and puzzles. Her favourite is a mini dust pan and broom as she loves helping me clean the house - very cute ;)
And now for the pictures :)



I was super busy with all the cooking and preparations on the days leading up to it. I was also battling a terrible cold and chest infection so it wasn't the easiest thing I have done. My parents weree supposed to come up on the Friday to mind Elka so that I could get lots of cleaning and setting up done.. well they didn't end up arriving until just before my In-Laws that evening, so rather than help, I just got a house full of guests to care for. Hmm thanks!
But that said, both sets of Grandparents were champions on the Saturday morning helping out with picking up the hire chairs, extra groceries, blowing up balloons etc and of course showering the Birthday Girl with lots of love.
There were two tables of food - one decked out in a purple tablecloth and one in green to match the green and purple polka-dot balloons. The menu included chocolate slice with white chocolate dots on top, vanilla cupcakes with choc-chip sprinkles, chocolate cupcakes with jaffa chocolate icing, a fruit platter, two cob loaf dips, smarties, fairy bread, cheerio frankfurts and sauce and puff pastry and mushroom palmiers fresh out of the oven. The kids also had a kiddie sized table with a cut fruit platter to munch on. There was beer, sparkling wine, sparkling apple juice and soft drink.
And of course the cake - it was a thick vanilla buttercake (great recipe!) cooked in the shape of the number one, iced in vienna cream icing and decorated with smarties. I was really pleased with how it turned out.
Unfortunately, there were showers of rain all day, so we had to set the party up on the back verandah, rather than the yard which catches the lovely afternoon winter sun. There was a play area for the kids with lots of toys and of course the horses, ducks and chickens get the little ones (and some of the big ones too!) entertained.
All of my antenatal class friends came, some mummies from my local Mummies group, my brother, both our parents and some old school friends with their lovely little ones. It was only a relatively small group - about 20 but perfect for the back verandah and it was all Elka's little friends that she loves to play with.
Elka loved the attention although she was pretty tired from all the excitement already. She discovered that she loved smarties and managed to con lots of people into letting her have some. She also destroyed a cupcake pretty quickly! She got lovely gifts including a beautiful wooden xylophone, an Etch-a-Sketch, beautiful clothes, her name as a wooden puzzle and lots of great books and puzzles. Her favourite is a mini dust pan and broom as she loves helping me clean the house - very cute ;)
And now for the pictures :)
Setting up the back verandah under the watchful (and hopeful for food) eye of Spech
The kids play area
Pictures of Elka getting bigger stuck up on the outdoor kitchen bench area
The stunning dress that Mum made for her for the party. And she had cute little pig-tails.

A family photo :)

The dotty napkins

Some of the polka-dot themed food

The polka dot balloons were a big hit with the kids!

Opening presents with Daddy

Getting ready to cut the cake with Mummy

And.. du-dah! the cake :)

A family photo :)
The dotty napkins
Some of the polka-dot themed food
The polka dot balloons were a big hit with the kids!
Opening presents with Daddy
Getting ready to cut the cake with Mummy
And.. du-dah! the cake :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6 comments:
Beautiful!!! I love all things polka dot too!
The cake looks awesome!
That cake is pretty awesome! Did you use a cake tin to make the shape? Looks like it was a very fun day!
It looks amazing ! I hope Elka enjoyed her party as much as mum did !
You did an excellent job with the cake!
What a festive day. That little girl sure is lucky. Fabulous cake - all those smarties must have taken such a long time to place.
Looks like it was a great day - I love the polka dot theme :D very cute.
Post a Comment