Sunday, 21 February 2010
Its been over 3 years that we have had our horses and owned this farm. So its time for some pics of course!

First of is Sam - our rescue horse. He is a ex-racehorse that was locked up and starved and then sent to the sales for the meatworks. He was bought by a lovely lady who saves horses and she passed him onto me when I rang enquiring about another horse she had. He ticked a lot of boxes for me - I wanted to save a horse as a companion for my competition horse and he is 17hh - very tall and lanky, great for showjumping and also good for Jase to ride who is 6ft. When we floated him home, we were worried he was too weak to stand up for the 50min drive.

Here he is in the twilight when we got him home
Note the sunken neck and rump and the exposed ribs. Poor boy.

After three years of hay, hard feed, paddocks and dentist appointments, he is now a lovely big healthy boy who is still gentle. He has a lovely shiny coat now and a nice big muscly neck, officially a successful rescue case! I have lots of plans for competing him but the babies are currently slowing me down - in a few years time I hope to get him going in some cross country events.


The other before and afters I have are from our "Rainforest Garden" - when we moved in this house basically had NO gardens literally. We have spent the last three years establishing gardens throughout the property - no mean feat with such a large yard around your house! One of these garden areas we planned was a sprawling rainforest garden which will eventually have large trees and a waterfall and pond (once the little ones are older and can be trusted with a pond). Jase has already built the waterfall face though.

This is what we started with - this photo was taken by the real estate agent for the sale.
No gardens, just grass.


This is the garden beds we dug and planted after we tidied the place up.

From the house view.


And this is what we have now - a long way to go but we are so pleased with how it is looking - we are getting layers of lush plants and lovely shade and screening now.



5 comments:

Kellyansapansa said...

Wow, you've made an amazing difference to both horse and garden. Great pics!

life and the memoirs said...

Thank you for sharing these photos! I loved seeing the before and after shots. It's lovely to see Sam in such excellent health these days. He certainly looks fantastic.
The images of your gardens bring one word to my lips WOW!! Look at your amazing efforts!! Just so incredibly lovely.
Your part of the world is an oasis. Just so beautiful.
Thanks again for sharing with us :)

Amy said...

Aww thanks guys!

melissa said...

Well done on what you have done with the garden! We haven;'t got anywhere near that far with ours in the same amount of time.

Good to see Sam looking so healthy and strong as well. He's a lucky horse. :D

Lydia said...

Looks amazing. You two have really managed to run a small farm while working two busy jobs and starting a family. You should feel very accomplished.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I