Friday, 12 February 2010

I am not a huge fan of Valentines Day. Although, I was a hopeless romantic in High School, I think I mooched and wallowed my way into realism at university. That and the fact that I have an amazing relationship where we show love everyday and don't need someone to tell us what day to do it. I get very spoilt with flowers - I get them alot :) and I don't really like chocolate... and my hubby has bought me numerous diamonds and little blue boxes full of bling. Plus we have date night where we cook delicious meals for each other most Saturday nights. Yep loved up, you don;t really need to hear it all :)

But in confession time - every Valentines day, I get this twinge of guilt. You know that Kate Miller Heike song "Caught in the Crowd"? Well that kind of captures my guilt about being a High School lemming over being a decent person.

In year 11 I think (?), I had a rose delivered to me in class on Valentines Day from a Secret Admirer. Now we had a rose delivery service set up at school for Vday but basically the only people really using it were the couples. So it was a big stir that someone had actually used it to deliver a true confession of "love"! I was more than a little thrown, I had absolutely no clue - I knew that my current crushes were not reciprocated at the time so that left well....anyone! I had to carry that rose around all day and home on my hour long bus trip and face all the stares and sniggers. Standing out in High School for anything was never really ideal was it - and well I felt singled out!

Now in hindsight as an adult - I should have felt flattered and even chuffed but no as an awkward teenager, really I was just embarassed. So fast forward a few days when it comes out to everyone in my year who the rose sender was - he revealed himself I guess realising that I wasn't asking questions or searching for him (rather pretending nothing had happened was my plan!). Now I didn't really know him - in my year but never in any of my classes bar one and I had never spoken one word to him. So I was pretty shocked when I was told who it was. What was worse - I was embarassed that it was him :( He had been picked on in past years and wasn't one of the more "popular" boys.

So I continued to ignore the situation (that was my approach to a lot of my love life in high school - hmm such a mature approach) and was actually ticked off by one of the "pretty and popular" girls for being rude to him by not acknowledging the gesture. Well did that make me feel 2 cm tall - if someone that most of us thought was pretty self-obsessed could say hey you are being shitty, then I was really being a horrible person wasnt I!

So days later, I rushed into an empty classroom where he was, mumbled some sort of brief thank you and raced away. I think they were the last (and only!) words I honestly said to him in the remaining 2 years of high school. I bet he was wishing he hadn't wasted his $10 on a rose for me forever after!

And I still feel rotten for it! If only I had thought more about his feelings and less about everyone elses opinions, then I would have been a decent person and thanked him for such a sweet gesture and maybe even been his friend. God high school was angst ridden wasn't it!

So yeah single red roses make me feel a little bit like a crappy person sometimes!

But you have to learn from your mistakes don't you.. and I try so hard to not judge people as an adult and to give everyone a fair go and a smile.

Enjoy your Valentines Day whatever shape or form or lack of celebration it might take!
xoxo

7 comments:

Gabrielle said...

If that's the worst thing you did in high school you did pretty well! I'm sure you weren't as bad as you remember.

Amy said...

LOL gab! No have definitely done worse as a horrible little year 8 bullying someone - that is a whole other lot of guilt ;)

Sars said...

Hehe i remember that now, i'd forgotten all about it!! We don't really do it either but i decided A could buy me some more underwear today :) and i bought him a shirt, think its just an excuse to get something new!!
Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I think all high school girls were hopeless romantics when valentines came around! I was at boarding school in Perth and the post was handed out in the dining hall after our evening meal - it was such a big thing to get those red envelopes!

One year, I got a few mates from home to all send me valenties so I got about 8 of them ... made me look soooooo popular ...

Kellyansapansa said...

We all have memories which make us cringe. Look at the positive side - you now acknowledge that you could have been more sensitive and handled the situation better. Better that than to be sailing along oblivious of your impact on others!

Shellsibelle said...

I did something similar in highschool, Amy. We could be so mean without even realising, and look back with this guilt! One day in Grade 9 a girl told me that a guy in our grade liked me. She told me who it was and I had never spoken a word to him. He was kind of chubby and awkward, and he'd mentioned in class that his brother had gotten an OP of 23(!!), so I wasn't overly keen :\ He called me one day and I brushed him off by saying I was dating someone else (I wasn't). Fast forward to Grade 12 and he was the captain of the First XV Rugby team at my school and Mr Popular. Served me right :P

Amy said...

LOL Shell! thanks for sharing ;)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I