Thursday, 15 July 2010
Elka still loves being a big sister and has been so wonderful at welcoming Bronte without jealousy - I expected alot more bad behaviour then we have had!

Bronte is 6 weeks now and has been experiencing a good "wonder week" - feeding often and grizzling (actually screaming is a better description) a lot. But the growth spurt has done its work and left her with some lovely new skills. She is cooing and making sweet noises and is a huge smiler now. She isn't too good at day sleeps, prefering cat napping in my arms but I am sorting out her sleeping in the basinette whenever we are home enough to make it worthwhile (I spend a lot of time out to avoid the construction noise). However, she still amazes me with her night sleeping. She goes down at 7pm as though she just knows that is Elka's bedtime and that Jase and I deserve our adult relax time! And I don't hear a peep from her until 1-2am, and last night it was 3am, then she quickly feeds, snuggles back to sleep and wakes at 6amish. Which means I am getting decent amounts of sleep. Very happy with that!

She still feeds well - prefering 2.5 hour gaps during the day but I try to stretch her to 3 hours as she gets colic from too much feeding otherwise. She loves her aquarium bouncer and playing on the activity mat with the flashing lights to stare at. She flinches when Elka swoops into speak loudly into her face but then beams at Elka with big open mouth smiles - I am desperately trying to catch this on the camera! Elka declares "that's my sister" and "I love her" whilst nearly launching poor Bronte with the violent bounces she produces from the bouncer.

Bronte had her 6 week check up with the paeds which went well, she has put on 1.2kgs in 5 weeks and is now 5.4kgs and 58cm long - a good grower as the paeds said! He isn't too concerned about her possible hearing problems as she clearly reacted when the muted office phone rang whilst he was examining her. However, this remains to be clarified - I am still waiting to be contacted for her follow up hearing tests. If she does have mild hearing problems rather than just conductive hearing loss from excess fluid from birth, then we will support her through it :) and I will feel blessed that its only mild hearing problems.

I had my 6 week check up with the obs - nothing remarkable either, he was pleased with my stomach muscle repair, as am I. I thought it might have taken longer than 6 weeks for the massive abdominal separation to join up but as the horseriding post previously contests I managed to fix it with the exercises. My pre-pregnancy jeans are fitting much better now - one pair are even getting loose around the hips thanks to Bronte's non stop feeding most likely, it does take it out of you!

However, thanks in part to the construction and to juggling two kids, I am getting a little stir crazy and am dying to do more exercise. Its difficult in a rural setting as there are no footpaths to walk along and our roads are rough, have no shoulders and are high speed - not safe for a toddler and a pram! So we walk up and down our driveway.. but again I can't do that with all the construction vehicles coming and going as well as taking up a lot of the paddocks. So its the impatient wait for the weekend, in order to have Jase mind the kids so I can ride :)

3 comments:

CAM said...

Amy I am blown away by how similar Elka and Bronte look already!!! You can completely tell they are sisters :) What a beautiful pic!! Hope you enjoy your ride this weekend ;)

Mel said...

Gorgeous photo of them - and yes, they are definitely sisters!

Glad to hear that the Paed isn't worried too much about her hearing - hopefully thats a good sign.

Great to hear that both of your 6wk checkups went well.

Hope you get out and about soon! I know the feeling and was so glad that we had walking tracks near our place after Ashleigh was born.

Amy said...

Thanks guys - I didnt realise how similar they are until I took that photo!!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I