Friday, 2 July 2010
We have officially been a family of four for a month now. I have loved having Jase home for this time - he has been able to provide order to the chaos that has been all that we have had to deal with.

The extensions are moving along well, despite some delays thanks to the complications of living rural and having septic and grey water pipes throughout the areas we need to dig footings. Once they are sorted we will be able to get cracking with the exciting stuff like a full slab and frames! I will show some pics soon.

The construction site is not fun to live in the middle of. However we haven't suffered as badly as our animals are. The horses are permanently locked out of their favorite (and largest) paddock which means that during the hardest time of year for grazing, they are missing out on decent feed. Furthermore, anytime we have a large truck come in, they need to drive across our paddocks which involves pulling down two fences and banishing the horses to their most hated top paddock. Our ducks are creatures of habit and are not dealing well with their walkways being blocked by a big extension. We dug the 5 foot deep pier holes for the new slab and verandahs and Jase and I joked that we hoped our blind duck Albert wouldn't end falling down the hole in the early morning when they come up to the house from the dam for their morning feed. Sure enough the next morning, our builder knocks on our back door and asks if we are missing a pet duck. There he was stuck down this narrow deep hole, poor boy. They were able to scoop him out and he recovered some dignity with a good shake before quacking off. Apparently wasn't enough to dissuade him from coming that way as the next morning he had fallen down the hole again!

Our two pet ducks, the dark one is Albert, he has recently gone blind but his best friend Raphael (the white one) leads him everywhere - though apparently not enough to stop him from falling down the holes!


We also have had council trying to trap some foxes on our property for the last few weeks (humanely of course). We have seen the foxes quite happily ignoring the trap and walking past it. We did however manage to trap one of our almost tame magpies, who wasn't too impressed!

We had a nice break down at my parents farm near Byron Bay although it was freezing cold and Elka picked up a chest cold. Bronte has had her 4 week growth spurt and was feeding every 2-3 hours throughout the night which was tiring. She has thankfully gone back to her 7hrs and then 4 hrs night sleeps now and with some wind medicine she is seeming alot more settled in general. We are encouraging sleeping in the cot rather than in our arms in the hope that my life will be easier next week when Jase goes back to work. She is very aware now and giving us big gummy smiles which are just beautiful - she started the open mouth smiles just 2 days before Elka did..

My smiley Bronte-baby


I am feeling quite well in myself after getting over a lovely head cold. Some women just love havign a pregnant belly, I am the opposite, I just love having a waist! I have been working on my ab exercises and getting back into the paddock work (shoveling horse poo and pushing wheel barrows is just like a gym workout with the added benefit of being free and getting work done around the farm!). I am hopeful to start riding again next weekend - Spech is responding well to his lunge work and I might be soft and lacking muscle tone but the best way to get it back is to get back in the saddle, its going to hurt at first!

4 weeks post birth, hoping to get rid of that last bit of bump pretty soon!


Elka has settled into her role as a big sister - she loves to pat Bronte and kisses her endlessly. She was rocking and shushing her baby today just like I have been with Bronte. She tells kids that she meets at the park about Bronte, I have to laugh watching her tell the disinterested kids as she points frantically at Bronte in my arms. She has loved having four weeks of lots of Daddy time. This is her today pushing her wheelbarrow with Daddy coming back from feeding the horses their morning hay. Gorgeous!

My farm girl helping out


Life is good but set to get a lot crazier next week as Jase works long hours and I will be here keeping the farm going, liasing with the builder and juggling the two littlies. Not to mention I have things booked in for everyday next week except Monday. Oh well life is never boring!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it all! You sound so busy - but it also sounds like you are doing a wonderful job.

Bronte and Elka are both looking adorable :)

Simone said...

what's the wind medicine your using?

you'll be fine

CAM said...

You look fantastic...I don't think I have ver been as small as you but I sure as heck know it took a lot longer than four weeks for me to even be back to anything 'normal' size :)
Your girls are also just divine, loving that red wheelbarrow!! Good luck for next week and beyond...

Amy said...

Thanks everyone!

Simone - nothing fancy just infacol :)

Mel said...

Bronte and Elka are just gorgeous! Love Elka's wheelbarrow and her doting on Bronte. Sounds like you have your hands full, but are thriving at the same time. :) You're looking gorgeous as well - I'm so jealous that you've managed to lose so much weight so soon - not fair to the rest of us. ;)

Have you tried Infants Friend with Bronte? Its supposed to be a little kinder on their stomach, but is also not as strong. We were told to try Infants Friend first and if that didn't work, then try the Infacol. Thankfully it worked for Ashleigh and she started sleeping better. Glad that something is working for Bronte though - you'd think it would be easier 2nd time round, but they're just so different!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I