Sunday, 29 January 2012
So I am a big fan of vegetables in this house - and 2012 is my year of concentrating on our healthy eating. I am blessed with kids that fight each other for the last piece of carrot or broccolli on their plates. But I like to find different ways to get a variety of vegies and beans into their diet.

Minestrone is one of my best recipes for that. Kids love it, its full of vegies but hearty and delicious at the same time. Tick tick. And because it is rainy and miserable (Still!) here in Qld, I have whipped up a batch to put in the fridge for the busy Monday night dinner. No fuss dinner sorted before I get home is a lifesaver when settling back into the insanities of the working week. Did I mention that Elka and Bronte now go to school/daycare about 30 mins apart from each other??? Stressful much, on top of my usual work commute!


image from theage.com.au
Here is my quick but yum recipe. Give it a go - couldn't be easier! And actually made me feel better when I had morning sickness - magic!


Chop a couple of rashers of bacon and an onion, throw in some garlic and sweat it all in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped potato and carrot, some celery, a few celery leaves, some zucchini diced and some beans. Sweat them all up over a medium heat. Pour in a can of tomatoes and a cup or two of vegetable stock. Throw in some canned beans - I like butter beans or cannelinni beans. Season with pepper. Simmer for 1hr. Sprinkle with some parsley. Serve with buttered toast - yum! Improves left in the fridge and freezes also. The kids also love either a sprinkle of soup mix or some pasta pieces thrown in but that thickens it so add some more water.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mel said...

Ooh yum! My FIL makes a delicious Minstrone soup that the kids love, but his is much more complicated than that to make! Might have to give your recipe a try (still haven't managed to make his yet and I've had the recipe for almost a year!).

Hope your wet working week isn't too stressful!!

CAM said...

That sounds SO good, wish I had a pot of that in the fridge right now!! Will definitely give this a go ;)

Rat Baker said...

I really want some of this soup!

xx

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I