Thursday, 16 February 2012
It is my birthday today. I didn't unwrap a single present this morning. Pre-kids and responsibilities I used to have lots of presents and cards with gift vouchers to tear open first thing in the morning.

Instead I am getting my horse arena extended - at some point, when it gets organised and so on.

But instead I just felt so lucky and loved thank to the beautiful card from my husband and the excitement of my girls. Totally enough. And I am not just saying that.

I think I have reached that age - call it maturity, contentment, whatever, but when you "get" life. When you really know what matters. I like it. And that is what I am concentrating on - rather than commiserating about leaving my 20's well and truly behind.

Elka made me this card all by herself with no help from anyone and it made my happier than nearly any gift I have ever received. She wrote my name, her name and drew our family, right down to Jase wearing glasses.
I worked a 10 hour day of complete and utter craziness - between my two Masters students starting, two grant applications, an overseas travel funding application to write, five conference abstracts to edit, a publication proof to correct, new staff and a million disease outbreak investigations to juggle, I didn't have time to eat today let alone remember that it was my birthday. But when I came out of an exhausting 90 min teleconference, I found a note asking me to go down to the security desk... and I found a gorgeous box of flowers from my lovely hubby delivered for me. Perfect timing to remind me that in the middle of the craziness someone was still thinking of my birthday and trying to make it special. I love that man. And for some reason he seems to love me too!

 Not to mention the three course meal and sparkling wine that was waiting for me when I got home.

Don't stare too hard at my desk! In my defence that is my disorganised corner, where my project folders that are pulled out umpteen times a day build up... and yes I think I am the only person left who uses a paper-based diary!

This weekend my family are traveling up to the Gold Coast to meet us so we can take the girls to my brothers resort apartment pool for a day in the sun to celebrate my birthday belatedly with our favourite fish and chips.

 I am a big believer in being grateful for what you have and I am glowing with gratitude for all that I have and that I am celebrating another year.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Awww. Who is the fifth member of your family? A chicken, a cat or a horse?

Amy said...

It's a horse apparently :) and the other figure off to one side is her "boyfriend" Alex from school

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I