Tuesday, 28 February 2012
This story actually starts last year when my romantic of a husband informed me that he had booked us a surprise holiday away for our wedding anniversary - right down to having already organised babysitting for the girls so we were free to eat, drink and remind ourselves what relaxing feels like.

 He had chosen 3 days on a beautiful island in the Great Barrier Reef at a boutique resort as well as a few nights to chill out in Cairns in a five star hotel. Nicely played. I have been looking forward to it for what felt like FOREVER!

Well despite being torn between excitement for lots of couple time and the ability to sleep in and do absolutely nothing and sadness at not bringing my beautiful girls along with me, I had the best time.

 Hard not to when you are literally swimming with green turtles, snorkling in amazing coral and fish, eating yourself stupid, reacquainting yourself with napping and reading during daylight hours, complimentary sunset drinks every evening, taking night nature walks and even being able to hold your husbands hand as neither of you have full hands of kids/bags etc etc. We had the most amazing couples massage and I had a giggle at the shock of the masseuse at feeling the extent of the tension knots in my shoulders. She probably wouldn't have been quite so surprised if she knew what my life was like!

After leaving our peaceful island, we settled into the Hilton in Cairns, where they managed to mess up the romantic gift requests Jase had made to surprise me for our wedding anniversary. Combined with the fact that he is a gold card holder and we were booked into the executive floor, well they were mortified. We were showered with free things including champagne, white wine, red wine, ca nape plates, cheese platters, sparkling water and extra gifts. It became a little overwhelming but was pretty funny.

 I ate so much beautiful food, drank way too much and slept more than I needed - bliss. In fact it was so decadent, it wore me out and I was ready to come home to some reality!

Arriving at the gorgeous island - only one tiny resort and a whole lot of rainforest


Whiling away a lazy morning by the resort pool



These photos don't do the huge room justice, it was beautiful

One of our many snorkling trips - just the two of us exploring the coral and we got to swim with a turtle we lucked upon










Feeding some of the bigger fish off the glass bottomed boat



Just one of the many gorgeous spots we swam at
Our top level room in Cairns enjoying some of our freebies


My wedding anniversary tropical flowers from my hubby


Cocktails by the pool - it was tough really!



3 comments:

Lydia said...

Oh wow, what a pamperific holiday. You look so relaxed (and thin) with that cocktail in your hand. Glad to see you managed to catch up on some gossip too.

Mel said...

I need a holiday like that too! So glad you had a great time, even with the stuff ups in Cairns. :)

CAM said...

Divine, divine, divine!!! Happy anniversary and didn't you celebrate in style?! My folks went away for a minimum of three days and a maximum of ten days every year throughout my childhood...precious me time for them and precious grandparent time for us...win, win :)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I