Wednesday, 31 December 2008
What a year! Its been such a wonderful year with lots of eventful happenings. I tried to think of some lows and the best I could come up with was Spech's saga with his foot. And really that isn't such a big deal - he is healing up and I am still riding him and getting ready for competitions in early 2009 so all is well :)

As for the highs - well to experience my first pregnancy, that was pretty amazing. To have a huge baby bump with a little one kicking around and hiccuping was an emotional and thrilling time. I will always look back on the memory of Jase and I and the bump with lots of love, we were so excited and scared and amazed. Its an amazing time in a couple's relationship and I hope with all my heart that the lovely ladies that I know, that are finding this road much longer and bumpier than they ever should have to, get this experience in 2009.

I also had the full on experience of going through labour. It was definitely memorable and emotional - I couldnt have done it without Jase by my side. And the best part is the wonderful ending - that feeling of seeing Elka for the first time and having her placed so warm and tiny on my chest is like being on top of the world.

Of course, 2008 is most memorable for being the first 6 months of Elka's life and of Jase and I being parents. I thought it would be the hardest thing I would ever do but its been the easiest and most natural. I feel just like myself still - like nothing has changed but so much has..

2008 also involved a number of promotions for both Jase and I in our careers. We are both doing fantastically and we have gone from poor students to being very comfortable with money in a short couple of years. I have been awarded my second research grant which was quite an acheivement and I have enjoyed experiencing materity leave. I have kept a good balance of work/life by maintaining contact and meetings with my work, as I love my career and the nature of science is that time away is very bad for your career prospects. Writing a grant whilst caring full time for a three month old was certainaly memorable!

I am so proud of Jase - he has made some amazing career advancements and his abilities and performance in interviews continues to astound me!

We have had a good year of rain on the property and have enjoyed having full tanks and dams. We have worked on hard on the drainage and landscaping and are slowly but surely improving the place. The gardens are looking great considering there was barely a plant here when we moved in two years ago.

I was very pleased to get back into my horseriding and competing. Even juggling a newborn, I managed to get fit enough to get back to competitions and we even won some!

We have been reminded of how blessed we are with lovely friends and family. So many made the effort to visit and share our joy in Elka. Our house has been filled with love and laughs with all the visitors. My aunt and cousins visited from Canada which was lots of fun. We enjoyed a lovely trip to the Sunshine coast as a big crazy family.

I am excited what 2009 will bring - me going back to work part time, Elka turning one and learning to walk and talk. We are hoping to get away on a holiday, possible start extending the house and I am looking forward to further competing Spech in dressage. Whats more we are most likely going to have some more exciting news to share in 2009 ;) I cant wait!

Pregnant and ready to pop


Our little 2008 arrival


Back competing in dressage, 11 weeks after giving birth.. and we won!!


Being a mum!


6 months old and a beautiful happy bub!

4 comments:

Girly-Girl said...

That's a gorgeous sum up of 2008. I hope 2009 is just as prosperous for you.xx

Kirrily said...

Beautiful post Amy.
It's been quite a year for you and your family, Elka is gorgeous, and I'm sure (and hope) that 2009 will be just as good to you! xo

Leila said...

What a year for you Amy!

All the very best for 2009 ♥

Amy said...

Thanks guys :)

Wishing you all wonderful 2009's! May all your dreams and hopes come true..

xoxo

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I