Wednesday, 17 November 2010
Not of me, not of the house but of the rescue chickens :)

Here is my original post on the two chickens we rescued from being culled after 2 years of being battery hens.


And here are the reminder pics of how the two chickens turned up. You know ironically, one of the chickens layed an egg in the travel box on the day we got them, and I went to throw it away because I didn't want my family to eat an egg that came out of chicken that looked so unhealthy. Then I realised that millions of people everyday pay money to eat those eggs! Maybe they wouldn't want to if they saw the state of the chicken?


Hennie when she arrived from the battery farm


Hennie 2 months later



Bonnie when she arrived


Bonnie 2 months later



Watching them cluck away as they peck away at fresh fruit and sleep in the sun makes my day.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW they are just transformed. It must make you feel wonderful - lucky little hens

Kate21 said...

So awesome Amy, they are lucky to have you as there mother hen! I would love to ave chickens of my own.

Mel said...

Just amazing Amy! Such a wonderful transformation. Their colour has improved, their plumage is gorgeous, and their beaks look much healthier as well - all round, they actually look like chickens!!
And I have convinced Damo to continue to buy Free Range eggs - not just barn eggs, but free range! He has agreed that our Sunday morning omlettes taste better, and we feel good knowing that we're supporting a good cause.

Amy said...

Thanks guys.

Mel that is so awesome!

Mel said...

Would you believe I'm now working on my parents to make the switch?! I cooked my omlettes with the free range eggs for them on Sunday (becoming a weekend tradition now!) and they agreed that they were beautiful. So I now want to show her these photos and get her to switch as well. They were like us - just getting whatever was cheapest in an effort to keep their grocery bills down - but now we know that there are some items that just aren't worth the savings!

britt@absolutealaia said...

Awww they are looking beautiful. You have done an awesome job with them.

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I