Monday, 7 February 2011
Life is so mean sometimes. My parents drove all the way up to spend the weekend minding the girls so that we could make some leeway on staining the deck timbers and get further on the exterior painting. So of course it was boiling hot, I had a horse competition to distract me and both Jase and I copped some weird virus that left us fatigued and nauseous. Oh yeah fun times.

But that said, the horse comp went great, Spech and I did a pretty respectable test and even won a ribbon for it! And sick as we were, we pushed through and completely finished the deck staining, which we are so pleased with. Not only that but I managed to finish the first coat on all exterior parts of the house besides the downpipes and the underneath of the deck (my god our house is just so damn huge now and the wrap around verandahs just add so much more painting area - yeah I know, poor me, whinge over!).

So of course I have before and after pictures for you.


The deck timbers untreated after being left to weather for 6+ weeks as required


The deck after two of the final three coats of the stain - love the colour and richness

It was a pretty tricky process requiring exact staggering of different treatments on different days ie acid wash Thursday night, primer coat Friday night, first coat Saturday, second and third coats Sunday. And now we have to let it cure for the rest of the week - I am missing the deck so much already!

Fortunately my nausea had passed by this morning as I had my first day back at work. The kids were obliging at getting out of the house at a decent time (I aim for 6.50am) and after a long hour of cleaning out 1100 emails from my work inbox, I almost felt like I had never been away. Its good to be back - I love my career and I am excited to be managing an entire laboratory section and my scientists are keen and bright eyed and importantly looking forward to having me supervise them. I think its going to be a productive year!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no idea where you get your energy - I feel tired just reading what you get up too. Looks great though and glad you are back at work enjoying yourself

Karla said...

Gee that looks great!! Amazing what you make yourself do when you have to!

Amy said...

Ooooo....that deck looks so gorgeous. Congrats on your ribbon as well!! :)

Mel said...

Congrats on the ribbon Amy! Having just had a huge weekend renovating I'm amazed at what you got done with not feeling well. Deck is looking amazing! All the hard work will be so worth it (which is what I'm telling myself at the moment too!). Hope you're feeling better! Don't you just love grandparents babysitting?!

Lish said...

It looks fantastic Amy!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I