Sunday, 27 February 2011
So today we took the girls to a lovely country town Swimming Baths for a swim. I love country towns - I grew up near one and I just love the peace of a Sunday afternoon with happy families enjoying shady green grass and sparkling water at the local pool.

We were helping the girls to splash around in the toddler pool. For some reason, it was full of sweet little girls who decided I was wonderful and that I needed to "watch them" and were desperate for me to play with them.

One little girl had such a sparkle in her eye and was doing a great job of swimming around with her head down in the water. I was showing Elka and pointing out how well the little girl was doing it. She was a very sweet little girl who chattered away to me and I had noticed her Mum when I arrived, watching her from the side with a proud smile on her face.

Her Mum had watched me take Bronte's special bonnet off and pull out her hearing aids whilst I got her ready to swim. I am used to people watching Bronte with a mix of curiosity and sympathy and a type of relief that it's not their child wearing hearing aids. And so I had an idle thought of "Oh she is probably thinking how glad she is that her girls are fine".....

An hour or so later, I was watching their group celebrate with a birthday cake and I realised that there was a wheelchair there. My mouth nearly dropped when I saw that lovely little girl from the pool be placed in the wheelchair by her Mum, and saw that her (what I am guessing it was) palsy was so bad, that her legs were useless and her arms were stiff and waving uncontrollably. But she still had that beautiful smile on her face.

I got a little teary realising what freedom the water gave her, so much freedom that I hadn't realised that she had any trouble moving around. Although in hindsight, I realise she had never stood up and her swimming had been a little unusual. And I realised that what I had thought her Mum was thinking about Bronte couldnt have been more wrong.

These little kids with their special challenges just continue to humble and teach me. And I was so glad that that little girl had the pool to give her freedom and the choice to move and float where she wanted.

6 comments:

this jen day said...

oh, this just made me cry xx

emmaonafarm said...

what a wonderful post....it is so true...thanks.

Unknown said...

<3 how beautiful.

You are right though, we all have something that makes things difficult and different - whether people can see it or not.

Sars said...

So true Amy, life is never as people from the outside see it!

Mel said...

Amazing post Amy! I'm glad everything is going so well with your girls, and yes, it is wonderful to see people, especially children, with disabilities that many would find hard to cope with having such an amazing outlook on life and a ready smile on their face. Inspiring!

Anonymous said...

:tears: x

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I