Thursday, 10 February 2011
So a pet hate of mine is when people see you post-pregnancy, look you up and down and exclaim "Aren't you lucky to have lost all the baby weight!"

Hmm no, it wasn't luck. Luck implies that I just ate what I wanted, rested when baby slept during the day and just generally veged around and the weight fell off on its own accord.

In fact it was damn hard work. Being careful in my pregnancy to not "eat whatever you like" as people encourage you to do. Post bub - watching my diet, working on the farm, on the floor in the evenings doing pilates to repair my abdominal seperation, not sleeping during the day, walking, exercise bike, only drinking water - no soft drinks for sugar/caffeine hits despite desperately needing it, forgoing offers of sleep-ins from Jase so I could go horseriding instead...

Funnily enough after being back at a size 8-10 by 6 months post the second baby, a lot of people stopped saying that it was "lucky". I think they realised that there was more effort than luck going on for it to happen twice.

And as a sidenote - both times when I have stopped breastfeeding, I have found I immediately drop a few kgs, like my body was holding on to that weight... anyone else found this?

10 comments:

~CSaM~ said...

Oh people said I was lucky too!! GAH!!! I was pretty strict in what I ate during pregnancy and as a result only gained 5kgs. Oh course I lost that as soon as he was born and I'm not 7kgs lighter then I was pre pregnancy.

Post birth I'm exercising everyday and eating fairly well. I do allow myself a treat every now and then so I don't feel deprived ;)

I am yet to stop BFing but that's interesting that you lost more weight!

~CSaM~ said...

OOps, I meant I'm NOW 7kgs lighter

Bianca said...

I never know what to say when people say that.

I just seem to mutter thanks and something about my massive baby's feeding requirements and then change the subject (I do think it must have been his feeding because the only exercise I did was pelvic floor exercises and my diet is 'quick grab a bikkie while you can :P).

Itsn't it funny the different effects bf has on people - I always drop weight while feeding and gain a couple of kg back when I stop!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

I hear you, i was in my 20s when i had my 4 & my weight fell off while breastfeeding. For me i was flat tummy by the time i got home from hospital, in my size 10 jeans. Even after twins, lost 25kg in 5 days. For me it was a whole lot of fluid & actual baby!! After walking & Yoga, i had the tone back very quickly too. Lucky, they just mean well!! They don't get it, or they didn't lose it & are just trying to make polite conversation. Love Posie

this jen day said...

It's both awkward and insensitive I think. I only gained 7kg with the twins (this was not a good thing - as you know they were tiny when born, and prem) and lost 11kg within 5 days of them being born. I still haven't put it back on, and I don't think i ever will. I'm too bloody busy!

It's funny how our bodies are. I have friends who are smaller post-baby than ever, and others who still are still struggling a year later.

Everyone is so different and bodies respond to emotional and physical needs in such different ways. Having a will of steel helps too xxxx

melissa said...

I watched what I ate (I was eating less in the firt 4-5 months due to MS and still gained weight) when I was pregnant and kept up the exercise (as well as having a physical job). I still gained 20 kilos! So I have to say some 'luck' or genetics does come into it.

Post pregnancy - the weight falls off me while breastfeeding. I ended up a lighter than pre pregnancy without effort - unfortunately, like Bianca, once I stop breastfeeding a few kilos settle back on and I seem to find my natural weight again.

ESB said...

You've done really well, it must be so frustrating when people say you're lucky!

I stopped breastfeeding a few weeks ago and I've lost a couple of kgs since then too, so I think it's true that for some people body holds onto the weight.

a country wife said...

Oh Amy, don't get me started on baby weight! I am a 'classic' fat hoarder, much to my dismay. I gained 25 kilos in both my pregnancies despite watching what I ate, and it wasn't until I started to wean Oscar that I managed to start losing the kilos. I'm sure there's something evolutionary going on with fat stores in the event of famine. I would have survived very well back in 1880!

Well done working so hard and getting back into shape, and how frustrating that people assume it's just luck! With 10 kilos to lose I know just how darn hard that stretchy skin is to tone and hard those love handles are to shift!

Please send some of your motivation my way xxx

PS it's funny, I'd planned on posting this exact discussion on my blog tomorrow, but from the opposite angle :)

Amy said...

Thank you ladies for all of your great comments and perspectives!

CSam - wow 7kgs lighter!!

Posie - you amaze me with your twin stories!

LOL Bianca - love your bikkie diet!

Jen - I bet you are lucky to find time to eat during the day!

Melissa - I was the same with Bronte;s pregnancy, whether I liked it or not I put on 15kgs. I guess your body knows best! Although Bronte's birth weight was over 1/4 of that!!

ESB - interesting that you have had a similar thing with stopping breastfeeding.

Chrissy - good luck with those last 10kgs! Its so frustrating when you have one of those bodies that just love to hold onto weight hey.

Thanks again girls for great balanced comments and not making me feel bad for sharing my pet hate ;) xox

Lish said...

I just wish I had your self control so that I could lose the rest of the weight!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I