Wednesday, 27 May 2009
So we are finally getting our termite treatment done. The joys of living where we do means that the majority of houses suffer a termite attack at some point. Our place was due for a treatment and our inspection guy actually picked up some active termites attaching to the house so it was time to get it done.. .

Well its noisy and expensive to say the least. They are drilling holes every 200mm along the verandahs that run the entire front and back length of the house, the other ends of the house have had massive ditches dug in the adjacent dirt. Our laundry/study also had to be done as it sits on the verandah concrete rather than the house slab. Our paving had to have all the road base and sand added so that they could dig it up and treat it too.. so its been busy.

Its very expensive too but I figure that is money well spent - what point is there to having a nice home with nice things in it, if it is eaten away and destroyed by termites? The repairs are far more expensive and complicated than the 10 yearly treatments.

But it has also demonstrated to me how used to living rurally I am. The thought of having two workmen here all day, working on my verandahs, looking in the windows and doors at me had me quite freaked out. When I lived in the suburbs during my uni years - I hated the fact that people could see me in my yard, through my windows or hanging my washing out. I was and am again so used to not seeing another living soul during th e day unless I choose to. I marvel at homes in the 'burbs that have large windows looking out onto the pavement or where the neighbours windows are like only a metre away - I get all irrational and freak out imagining having to live there - drives Jase nuts. I also can't stand having my blinds or curtains shut during the day, I get claustrophobic and want to see out.

So I am not loving having tradesmen wandering all around my yard today. but its all for a good cause and I am appreciative of being lucky enough to own a home and be in a position to afford to protect it. But that isn't stopping me from staring at the clock willing today to be over!

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Quite the country girl. You wouldn't cope very well with apartment living over here, I think. Our windows stare directly into those across the road. Luckily our next place is higher, so everyone is below us.

Hope the men disappear quickly and you get your privacy back.

Bee said...

I hate living in suburbia for that very reason. I hate that the neighbours can see me in the yard and eavesdrop on us (and they do because our neighbours are horrible!). I hate being in my house and smelling their cigarette and pot stink inside my kids bedrooms (each to their own, but I HATE smelling it inside my own house). I'd love to up sticks and move out to a nice big block where I don't have to worry about neighbours.

Amy said...

thanks Lyds - that is good that you have the higher aspect :)

I am so glad someone feels the same Bethwyn! I hope you have a nice big block in your future :) xoxo

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I