Wednesday, 20 May 2009
The water currently pouring over our driveway


The paddock between the house and the arena - the water catchment from the properties above us on the hill flows straight through


The dam closest to the house bursting its banks. Our two idiot ducks love riding the rapids in this section

We have had twice our monthly rainfall in the last 36 hours. The rain was orginially welcomed as our water tanks were getting a little low and the winter grass was starting to yellow. but now we are flooding and its getting a little bit stressful.

Half the property is under gushing water - the downside of having a property made up of half a hillside with quite a bit of water catchment. The laundry courtyard that we have dug out in preparation for paving is now a swimming pool. Both dams have broken their banks and are pouring water out into the paddocks. Our piles of delivered soil and paving sand are disappearing into the puddles despite the tarps I have over them.

But most concerning is watching our driveway go under water at the dam crossing. As I drove out taking photos this morning I was concerned that the road might go under. One hour later when I returned from doing the groceries, it was under water. So much so that I had to drive the 4WD through with pace to stop it getting too waterlogged. Needless to say I have emailed Jase and asked him to try and leave work - being an hour away in the city is not where I want him when roads are being cut off, including our own.

I know all will be OK in the long run but I am frustrated - I have put many back breaking hours into lugging gravel onto the driveeway to repair last summers storm damage and now it is all ruined again. Still - my family is alive and well and really I shouldnt complain!

I grew up in Northern NSW - a stunning place and well known for its wet weather and floods. I was often evacuated from school due to flooding and our family property would regularly get cut off. So I have a fair apreciation of flooding.

One thing that I always notice is the difference between city and country people with rain. I experience it alot at work since I commute in from a farm to work with inner city people. One - they barely ever notice or care if it is raining or not, whereas I am always checking the sky and or the BOM site or commenting on the chance that there was rain mentioned in the weekly forcast. Secondly - they love to jump in and complain once heavy flooding rain is occuring - really how is it affecting you? The two steps you have to take between house-car-work that arent concreted were a little muddy? oh poor you, I wish I could feed my poor animals without sinking below my workboots into saturated clay that is like quicksand. The traffic is slow on the way to work? At least you got your car off your place - our place is normally so waterlogged that we would drag the cars out with the tractor. And thirdly - City people love to dig out their pristine Driza Bone coats to wear out on the pavement when they have finally noticed it is "really raining". Trust me I have a Driza Bone - they are heavy, smelly and like being in a sauna - perfect for wearing on the horse in the freezing rain - been there done that plenty of times or for when you are wading through your paddocks but I would never choose to wear one in the City where I didnt have too!

OK whinge over ;) Needless to say I am not a happy chappy today - and mood was not improved when I saw that a tree has fallen on one of our perimiter fences. Something else to add to the To Do list once this rain lets up.

Stay dry and make sure you appreciate your concrete footpaths today!

4 comments:

Sars said...

Hehe good whinge Amy, i know what you mean, i'm so lame with the weather i have bom bookmarked, watch the weather channel on fox and check my rain gauge regularly so i can ring dad and discuss the rain haha!

Our place is waterlogged as well, not to your extent of course but the slope and crappy drainage doesn't help, i put video on my flickr, this is the worst i have seen since we have lived in Algester!

Hope it dries up soon for you guys!

mummabee said...

Gosh that flooding looks really bad! Hope the rain doesn't last too long for you. Had to laugh though at your comment on the 'idiot ducks' - can just imagine them surfing the rapids....lol

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of rain!! Wish we had some our way - our lawn needs some more :)

Amy said...

LOL mummabee- yep I promise the ducks are as funny as they sound - they still make me laugh out loud all the time!

Hope your place dries out soon Sar - you are flood expert from way back!

Alicia - will gladly send you the rest of the rain :)

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I