Friday, 29 May 2009
Today I had lots of visiting to do. So Elka and I were rushing around this morning getting ready. Now as any mum can tell you, as soon as you take your eye of the proverbial ball, all is lost. As I tried to straighten my hair, brush my teeth and stop Elka from making off with everything unattached in the bathroom, I looked away from bub for about 30 seconds and wasn't really paying attention to her noises and actions.
When I looked over at her again, I blinked, looked again and thought hmmm where has she found red paint from? And then the penny dropped, oh no thats not red paint, that is blood. Not just any blood but my baby's blood and its everywhere - on the vanity cupboards, the towel rack, the bath mat, the bath, her face, both her hands, her suit.... you get the picture.
Cue me trying to stay calm, sweeping her up and searching for the source of the gushing blood. A little detective work revealed that she was basically missing the very tip of her index finger. I am confused - whaaat? I cast my mind back to what she had been doing in the time I was not paying full attention - oh yes she was trying to get into Jase's bathroom drawer, which is of course baby proofed with a drawer locky thing. BUT it lets the drawer open a tiny bit and sure enough in that tiny gap I could see his super sharp razor facing upwards... with blood on it.
Bad Mum.Bad Mum.Bad Mum was running through my head but more important things to do than berate myself right then.
How easy do you think it is to apply firm pressure to the very tip of a tiny toddler finger? Especially one attached to a completely non-fussed toddler who just wants to go off and play since she can't see what all the fuss is about. We bled through more cotton wool then I care to think of.
But after raiding two first aid kits and the horses first aid kit, I managed to strap up her finger firmly and in a way that she couldn't pull it all off with her teeth like she was so desperately trying and the blood started to slow.
Phew, then it was just the blood soaked bathroom and outfits to deal with and we could head off on our mummy visits as though we were a perfect and totally in control mum and bub duo ;)
I am considering this my induction into the Toddler Era and will no longer consider a room is baby-proofed unless it is empty and padded........
When I looked over at her again, I blinked, looked again and thought hmmm where has she found red paint from? And then the penny dropped, oh no thats not red paint, that is blood. Not just any blood but my baby's blood and its everywhere - on the vanity cupboards, the towel rack, the bath mat, the bath, her face, both her hands, her suit.... you get the picture.
Cue me trying to stay calm, sweeping her up and searching for the source of the gushing blood. A little detective work revealed that she was basically missing the very tip of her index finger. I am confused - whaaat? I cast my mind back to what she had been doing in the time I was not paying full attention - oh yes she was trying to get into Jase's bathroom drawer, which is of course baby proofed with a drawer locky thing. BUT it lets the drawer open a tiny bit and sure enough in that tiny gap I could see his super sharp razor facing upwards... with blood on it.
Bad Mum.Bad Mum.Bad Mum was running through my head but more important things to do than berate myself right then.
How easy do you think it is to apply firm pressure to the very tip of a tiny toddler finger? Especially one attached to a completely non-fussed toddler who just wants to go off and play since she can't see what all the fuss is about. We bled through more cotton wool then I care to think of.
But after raiding two first aid kits and the horses first aid kit, I managed to strap up her finger firmly and in a way that she couldn't pull it all off with her teeth like she was so desperately trying and the blood started to slow.
Phew, then it was just the blood soaked bathroom and outfits to deal with and we could head off on our mummy visits as though we were a perfect and totally in control mum and bub duo ;)
I am considering this my induction into the Toddler Era and will no longer consider a room is baby-proofed unless it is empty and padded........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(139)
-
▼
May
(16)
- Shades of a slasher movie
- Dressing up
- At last
- Bird brains
- I fell in love today...
- Elka's 11 month update
- It never rains it pours
- Oh dear
- Pamper Time
- A day in my life - Thursday 7th May
- So much more than a mum...
- Party planning
- 99 things...
- Piggytail Princess
- I think we have been spending too much time togeth...
- Frocks for inspiration
-
▼
May
(16)
Blogs I Love
-
Housekeeping!1 week ago
-
-
The blog is closing6 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra8 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming11 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland12 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!12 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks13 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening14 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....14 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

7 comments:
Oh My Goodness!
So stressful!
Do you have a bandaid/plaster on it now? Is she letting it stay on?
Argh. Something new to stress about! :P
LOL! I managed to keep band-aids on it for most of the day but gave up eventually.
The beauty of bubs is how fast they heal! By tonight, it bore no resemblance to the blood fountain that it was this morning and it was well on its way to healing up :)
Man that would of been scary! Glad that Elka is okay - and you are not a bad mum!
Little ones can get into anything
Glad you got it fixed
Mine are in their teenage years but I do remember what it was like
Oh no! I would faint with all that blood everywhere - you remember what I'm like. Glad you could hold yourself together and it wasn't anything serious.
Oh you did well not to faint Amy, you poor thing. Yep Elka is trouble trouble trouble now. Everything has to be locked away and out of reach. I swear my house has gone from clutter central to uber sleek just because we have empty shelves and nothing on display. I discovered T has a new trick. She climbs onto a dining chair then onto the dining table. She then pulls all the flowers out fo the vase. Tips the vase over, water pours all over the table and onto the carpet. All in about 21 seconds. Scary!!
Thanks guys
Oh Carolyn! I can so see Elka doing the same...
Gee I finally understand the eyes in the back of the head comment!
Post a Comment