Saturday, 9 May 2009
Sometimes I get a little sick of just being defined as a mum. Yes I am a mum - its now as much part of me as being female or 5ft 6 tall. I love it. But it does not singularly define me. I am so much more.
Sometimes I also get a little bored with people that only think of themselves as mums. Their facebook status is always about their child.. their blog is only about their child.. their conversation is only about babies/children (this is NOT directed at anyone in particular - please dont take offence) and I feel that their only great achievements are what their child does.
Of course your child and their achievements/milestones are amazing and make your life so much richer and more meaningful. But what about you, your heart, your soul?
What do you do for yourself in a day, in a week. What things/hobbies/loves/laughs makes you what you are.
I love the outdoors - I love feeling fit, healthy and strong striding outdoors in the sun, with the breeze blowing across my skin. I love standing next to my beautiful horses grooming them. I love training them and teaching half a tonne of horse flesh to respond to gentle pressure of one leg or a twitch of the rein. I love the adrelanin rush of galloping between jumps and soaring over them. Sometimes I think of that Faithless song "this is my church, this is where I heal my hurts". That is what spending time for myself outside does for me. Working at my career also makes me feel the same - I love challenging myself, working to deadlines, feeling intelligent and well trained. And it makes me a better mother - I come home refreshed and renewed. And I will teach my daughter that she can be so much - strong, independent and able to achieve goals.

And that is why tomorrow, when I spend most of Mothers Day at a dressage competition, I will not feel like I am missing out one bit even though I will be up and out of bed long before others are being brought breakfast in bed. I am celebrating "me" in the best way I can think of. And I know that my little one will be waiting to give me a big hug when I get home.
I hope everyone has a lovely Mothers Day, feels appreciated for what they are and doesn't get given an iron! (My idea of the worst present to buy someone else! Just buy me a ball and chain at the same time)
Sometimes I also get a little bored with people that only think of themselves as mums. Their facebook status is always about their child.. their blog is only about their child.. their conversation is only about babies/children (this is NOT directed at anyone in particular - please dont take offence) and I feel that their only great achievements are what their child does.
Of course your child and their achievements/milestones are amazing and make your life so much richer and more meaningful. But what about you, your heart, your soul?
What do you do for yourself in a day, in a week. What things/hobbies/loves/laughs makes you what you are.
I love the outdoors - I love feeling fit, healthy and strong striding outdoors in the sun, with the breeze blowing across my skin. I love standing next to my beautiful horses grooming them. I love training them and teaching half a tonne of horse flesh to respond to gentle pressure of one leg or a twitch of the rein. I love the adrelanin rush of galloping between jumps and soaring over them. Sometimes I think of that Faithless song "this is my church, this is where I heal my hurts". That is what spending time for myself outside does for me. Working at my career also makes me feel the same - I love challenging myself, working to deadlines, feeling intelligent and well trained. And it makes me a better mother - I come home refreshed and renewed. And I will teach my daughter that she can be so much - strong, independent and able to achieve goals.
And that is why tomorrow, when I spend most of Mothers Day at a dressage competition, I will not feel like I am missing out one bit even though I will be up and out of bed long before others are being brought breakfast in bed. I am celebrating "me" in the best way I can think of. And I know that my little one will be waiting to give me a big hug when I get home.
I hope everyone has a lovely Mothers Day, feels appreciated for what they are and doesn't get given an iron! (My idea of the worst present to buy someone else! Just buy me a ball and chain at the same time)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amy
- I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(139)
-
▼
May
(16)
- Shades of a slasher movie
- Dressing up
- At last
- Bird brains
- I fell in love today...
- Elka's 11 month update
- It never rains it pours
- Oh dear
- Pamper Time
- A day in my life - Thursday 7th May
- So much more than a mum...
- Party planning
- 99 things...
- Piggytail Princess
- I think we have been spending too much time togeth...
- Frocks for inspiration
-
▼
May
(16)
Blogs I Love
-
-
-
The blog is closing5 months ago
-
Mr Squiggle, Canberra7 months ago
-
Hungry Hippos!1 year ago
-
RAFFLE4 years ago
-
-
Eleven6 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
Blue And White Kitchen Cabinets8 years ago
-
-
-
Dress and coat9 years ago
-
-
35 weeks, 35 books10 years ago
-
DIY \\ Giant pom pom chunky knit hat10 years ago
-
2015 – The Wrap10 years ago
-
Week 50 7.12 – 13.1110 years ago
-
Week 510 years ago
-
Welcome to Matilda's Life Stories...10 years ago
-
-
Road Wars (2015) Online streaming10 years ago
-
Cherchez la femme — Feminism and Birth11 years ago
-
-
teneal-thegirlmostlikely11 years ago
-
looking up11 years ago
-
Den længste dag (1962) Fuld Film Streaming11 years ago
-
The year with the Royal Family 201411 years ago
-
-
Best Wall Paint Colour Ireland11 years ago
-
2 years since my last update!11 years ago
-
Art Walk12 years ago
-
Europe Magic12 years ago
-
Lime Cheesecake in the Raw12 years ago
-
Close to two years on ...12 years ago
-
White Out12 years ago
-
Cheap Backpacks12 years ago
-
-
Metaphors are fun13 years ago
-
-
This is 4 and 11/12's: The Tooth Fairy13 years ago
-
Of Vice and Frenchmen13 years ago
-
Happy New Year!13 years ago
-
Christmas flea & a new venture...13 years ago
-
Life gets in the way13 years ago
-
Archer's Christening13 years ago
-
-
I know I am biased ....13 years ago
-
she had to get out14 years ago
-
Shopaholic14 years ago
-
Turning Thirty14 years ago
-
Miss Goodie Two Shoes custom orders14 years ago
-
-
Garden Mojo14 years ago
-
-
I confess...15 years ago
-
The time came15 years ago
-
stylish blogger award15 years ago
-
2010 Aria Awards Red Carpet15 years ago
-
You are in the wrong spot!15 years ago
-
Up, up and away!16 years ago
-
-
what a great day!16 years ago
-
Internet Habits16 years ago
-
Sorry.16 years ago
-
Where Am I??16 years ago
-
19 Minutes ... And counting!16 years ago
-
Grand Final Fever!16 years ago
-
Every once in a while . . .17 years ago
-
Happy 1st Birthday!17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4 comments:
What a lovely post. You are certainly very well rounded, Amy. I admire your energy and determination to keep up your old joys - a wonderful way of teaching Elka about the world. Good luck for the comp.
Great post. Unfortunately at the moment I fit right into the "just a mum" genre. It's hard not to when you don't have a support structure around you - and you have to be there 24-7. Oh wells.
Thanks lyds :) xoxo
NO Alicia!!! You were one of the amazing mums I was thinking of that do cool things for themselves - Your cooking is amazing! Its a hobby and an art all rolled into one :)
oh and my hubby works 12 hour days - I ride the horses when Elka is asleep with the baby monitor :) and my nearest family is 2 hours away so I know what you mean about lacking support structure! Its not easy is it
Post a Comment