Friday, 11 February 2011

So you most probably know that my littlest munchkin has been diagnosed with permanent hearing loss in both ears. It is at the mild level so she can hear, it is just not clear how much she hears of soft sounds in spoken words and also what she can distingush in a noisy background.

She wears hearing aids to help bring her hearing up to the normal level. But convincing a bub to wear hearing aids is not an easy thing - she pulls them out and drops them, she eats them, she isn't allowed to wear them in the car and she whinges about me putting them back in. So its a battle. She pulls off hats/headbands and anything else we can think of as a bit of a barrier. We have lost one in the paddock and took a long time to find it again. Most days I just concentrate on making sure she has them on for a period of time that I am sitting with her, talking, singing and playing with her. When she doesn;t have them on, I speak as clear as I can and make sure she gets eye contact and a lot of facial expression from me.

She sees her paeds, her Ear, Nose and Throat specialist, her audiologist and now her speech therapist regularly. Elka has learned to love doctors surgeries and eagerly anticipates playing with their toys. So far Elka has been good about not being the centre of attention but the day she got her own hearing tested (just to be sure) was pretty exciting for her I think! (we now have to play pretend hearing tests/doctors with her endlessly).

Bronte seems to be developing well. She is shy and tends to stare at people with her big owl like eyes for a long time before she will thaw and give a sweet smile, but no one is sure if that is to do with her hearing or if it is just her personality anyway. She can startle if you come up behind and she hasn't heard you, and sometimes she is hard to get to look over at you if you are far away and saying her name. But other than that she is no different to care for than Elka.

She had an assessment yesterday with her Speech Pathologist and came through with flying colours. She mimics sounds (particularly Elka's yells, they match pitch and tone of each other), she says Mum, Bub and Dad, she anticipates spinning if I count 1, 2, 3 spin! She loves noisy toys and bangs things to make noise, she giggles and reacts happily to Elka, Jase or I if we say or do things and in the last two days she has even started saying More when she is eating and wants more.

It is a relief that she is doing so well but it only quells the Mummy worry a little. Of course I worry over her development, how she will be with hearing aids in the future, how other kids will treat her (will Elka tease her, since siblings tend to pick on each others weaknesses at times?), how school will go, high school, what if she is sporty but the hearing aids are a disadvantage... and the other day I had a new realisation. I was in line behind a 20 yr old girl who had hearing aids like Bronte and it sunk in that Bronte will be wearing the aids forever. It is hard to get around that this is something that will likely never be "fixed", there are no antibiotics or operations for this. Not only that but the government subsidy for the cost of her hearing aids runs out when she turns 21, after that apparently they are hideously expensive to maintain yourself...

Most of all, I realise that its all for me to come to terms with. Because Bronte and Elka will grow up with this and have never known anything else. Whereas I come into this with preconceptions . In fact I was plunged into this from the smugness of a parent who had given birth to a healthy little baby (Elka) who passed every test with flying colours and hit milestones far earlier than expected etc.

And I had to realise something - that everyone's wish for a perfect "healthy" baby is not as crucial as we might think when we rub our tummy's and say it as though its that simple. "Oh I don't mind about sex/eye colour/hair/size, just as long as its healthy." Because getting a bub that isn't technically perfect and healthy doesn't stop your little one from being the most precious amazing thing that you will ever love and that you get the accompanying bonus of a whole heap of humbling life lessons.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hehehe she is a gorgeous one - but I am surprise 'more' wasn't her first word ;)

Dana said...

That was me from a different gmail account (which I never realised it linked me to before). Oh the joys of modern technology!

Mammamusing said...

We worry endlessly don't we.

It is such great news that Bronte came through her speech assessment with flying colours.

She is really lovely.

Karla said...

She sounds like she's doing really well and that you're doing all the right things.

And who knows what developments & subsidies there will be in 20 years time?

Great to hear the update :)

Bianca said...

oh she is lovely, glad to hear how well Bronte is doing! She's very lucky to have such a good mama.

In 20 years hearing aids may be very very hard to notice :)

How gorgeous is playing ear doctors!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

You are dealing with this so well, i know 'dealing with' is not a great expression to use, but the way you openly discuss it, handle the appointments & make it part of your family make up is fantastic. Acceptance is the biggest part of life & if Bronte can accept it, through you making it comfortable & 'this is what you need to hear' kind of attitude, she'll find those hearing aides just a completely normal part of her life. I'd be surprised if Elka has anything to tease her for, my children don't tease each other about anything, it's not part of our family make up (my in-laws tease each other, i loathe it, my family is all about love & compliments) so she'll be fine!! You're doing a great job, i jump all the time - my children creep up on me, it's a game, it's fun. Wondering if you could creep up on Elka & show Bronte everyone jumps from time to time. Wishing you a smooth ride, love Posie

Lydia said...

Bronte is so lucky to have been born into such a great family. It sounds like she is developing very well, though all those trips to the specialists must take up a lot of time in your already busy life.

You also mentioned that you have made contact with other parents in the same situation - I imagine this must be a great resource to have.

I'm guessing the Deaf community also has some great tips and tricks - like flicking a light-switch on and off to get someone's attention. I know a great hearing guy born to Deaf parents in Canberra - he now works as an interpreter. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Lish said...

I'm so glad to hear that she is doing well - go Bronte!

About Me

My Photo
Amy
I am 30 years old, am a microbiologist with a PhD and love looking after my little farm. I compete in dressage and showjumping with my horses. I have a passion for shopping and a weakness for pretty clothes, shoes and handbags. My husband and I have a gorgeous toddler called Elka and a little bub named Bronte. I am a mother who works and has a career - just don't call me a "working mother". I don't do inside hobbies and craft and have only successfully sewn two things in my life that weren't ripped horserugs. The scientist in me makes me a little cynical and I am more likely to tell you about my life and events then give you a pretty polaroid style picture and an inspiring quote. Not for everyone but I have a bad memory and blogging is my way of recording life :)
View my complete profile

Blogs I Love

Followers

I'm a Blog This member
inspiring and connecting with Australian Bloggers.

Photobucket

Spech and I

Spech and I